starting strength gym

Thread: Am I lazy or astute?

Default Am I lazy or astute?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello gang,

I've been programming for someone for 4-ish years now.

For the last 18 months we have been working on re-composition type dieting, but clearly she is in a deficit, shown by weight-loss below.

F/ 56/ from 180+lbs down to 157 lbs and down a couple belt notches.

Sq- 216
    DL- 275
    BP- 120.5
    Press- 81

Moved programming from HLM-ish to a 4 day split 3ish months ago. She likes the 4 day split, and her goal is to keep nutrition consistent and see where her weight peters out. She is very happy with body composition changes, and wants to let them ride out.

For most of the time she was losing weight, I was confident that she could keep chasing PR's on her lifts. Recently it's become harder for her to get that weight on the bar, and i'm increasingly suspecting it's because she's in a different weight category now.

I talked her into changing from programming that is very focused on core lifts, to mixing in some more supplemental lifts ( strict press/ pin squat/ comp bench/ paused DL etc). I will still keep good volume with parent lifts, but I'm finding it hard to gauge where to put her volume weights. Also, for whatever reason, her weight-loss has picked up again after being around 162lbs for a while.

I see it as a benefit to have some "fun" time in the gym with new lifts ( she really likes pin presses) and let her body-weight settle where it will. Then we can get back at hitting main lifts as the focus again.

But... I'm second guessing myself. Am I being lazy by not finding the way to add weight to the bar, and should I keep hard on the main lifts, or is it reasonable to shift focus for a while until the body-weight settles down?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

How tall? Have you tried progressing higher rep ranges (8s or 10s)? Same principle: add weight every week, eventually drop reps, etc/recycle.

Hello, Robert

She is 5'10

I have used 8's for BP, OHP, and DL. I have not used it on SQ. This was in a volume day context though, not as an intensity day.

I have not used 10's.

Most recent cycling has been 5,3,1 on intensity day.

thank you for your time.

Try it out. Do 3-4 weeks of 10s, 3-4 weeks of 8s, 5s, triples, singles etc. Standard pyramid, works quite well and gives the lifter a mental break from grinders. Also improves technique if you are coaching the lifts well.

Thank you very much, Robert!

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome