Deadlift 1x5 367lbs
    Bench 3x5 222lbs
    Press 3x5 125lbs

I'm currently doing Example 20-9 in the Barbell Prescription:
    Sunday Squats 3x5
    Monday Bench 3x5 Deadlift 1x5
    Wednesday Squats 3x5
    Thursday Press 3x5 Deadlift 1x5

All my weights are moving well, and I'm sure I've got much more progress to make, but I'm starting to find deadlifting twice a week is taking its toll on my back and I'm struggling to recover, especially after Wednesday's squats.

What does anyone think about switching from deadlifts to chins on Monday and a lighter squat day of 2x3 at 95% on Wednesday. I've found the 20-9 setup in Barbell Prescription fits in very well with my work as a farmer and would like to continue this for as long as I can. I don't want to drop intensity too much on Wednesday but I just think the lighter day might help. Thanks.

Both of those could work. You might want to just make one of those changes to see how your body responds and narrow down the root cause of fatigue. If the DL is the only issue you can potentially leave the SQ going for a bit longer.

Hi Nik - have you given any consideration to swapping out one of the deadlift sessions for power cleans?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Both of those could work. You might want to just make one of those changes to see how your body responds and narrow down the root cause of fatigue. If the DL is the only issue you can potentially leave the SQ going for a bit longer.
    Thanks, yeah I'll start with the chins first then.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reid View Post
    Hi Nik - have you given any consideration to swapping out one of the deadlift sessions for power cleans?
    Hi Travis, unfortunately I haven't got a bar that spins. I've tried power cleans with my static bar but they just don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Tobutt View Post
    Hi Travis, unfortunately I haven't got a bar that spins. I've tried power cleans with my static bar but they just don't work.
    Fair enough Nik! Good luck with the chins. I think from memory the other Barbell Prescription substitutes aside from chins were bodyweight rows or lat pulldowns. Let us know how you go mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reid View Post
    Fair enough Nik! Good luck with the chins. I think from memory the other Barbell Prescription substitutes aside from chins were bodyweight rows or lat pulldowns. Let us know how you go mate.
    Thanks, will do. Saying all this, on my 5th deadlift rep on Thursday I struggled to get the damn thing off the floor but was fine once it got to my knees so hopefully that's just tired quads from the previous day's squats. We'll see!

Well I made both changes and today's 5 x 378lb deadlifts felt very straight forward as a result - much easier than last week's despite being 5lbs heavier. Before today's session I was already wondering what to do if today's fell flat but after that I'm sure I've got a good few weeks left of LP. Goes to show what a difference recovery makes, especially when your beard gets greyer... Cheers.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't mean to spam this thread but yesterday's deadlifts again went up easily so it looks like the changes have worked. Barbell Prescription is a great book!