starting strength gym

Thread: Time for intermediate programming?

Default Time for intermediate programming?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First time posting here, I Live in Sweden and relatively new to starting strength In my 20s i did athletics javelin, 400 meters and went to the gym regularly ( Doing useless stuff! ) I didnt workout for about 10 years at all for no good reason. 6 years ago i started hitting the gym after finally noticing how weak and out of shape i had become! 5 years wasted time in the gym with little progress chasing the pump then discovered Starting Strength got the blue book and even practical programing been following Starting strength now for a year and made more progress than i ever did in those wasted 5 years, if only i had a time machine!

Recovered from a golfers elbow due to incorrect squat position and some life circumstances that got in the way so i didnt make much progress for about 3 months of the year. Now i have stalled and can no longer add 5-2.5 pounds per workout or even week.

Following practical programing i think i should be looking at more intermediate style workout as described in the book whats making me hesitate is how weak i still am and i know in the book it says that this is individual and there is no real number that you have to hit that would indicate the end of novice linear progression but I still would really appreciate Coach Ripps advice or any of the other coaches here.

Question! Should i be looking at more intermediate programing or keep grinding NLP? Should I with my height gain more weight even if it will be a lot of fat at first? I dont mind doing that either I still love the program and I love squatting 3 times a week its actually my favorite thing in life right now! Should i gain more weight? Also i have read the first 3 questions and i do eat a lot, lots of meat, sleep is decent also and i rest 5-7 min between sets.

Stats and numbers:
    38 years old, Weight 202-205 lbs. Height 5,11, before NLP weight 180 lbs been eating a lot.

Start of NLP Squat 180 lbs, deadlift 132, bench 180 all for 1RM.

Current numbers in lbs:

Squat 297 3x5

Deadlift 352 1x5

Bench 240 3x5

Press 154 3x5

Powerclean 132 I just cant get the technique right so far I am sure why its lacking

Weighted chins 3x7 with 44 lbs added.

Appreciate any insight, thanks in advance and thanks also for introducing the world to SS and writing those books.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thank you very much for the response and yes I have read this article before and I do rest 5-7 min before each set, at which time i do feel refreshed. Sleep is as well as it could be at the moment usually 6-7 hours rarely 8 and I eat at least 4000 calories per day more like 4500-5000 (not including whey) including 500g steak basically everyday and last week i finally got myself creatine.

As far as jumps I have been doing 5.5 pound jumps for a while now should before chaging from NLP programing try smaller jumps? Smaller weights than that arent available at my gym but i could buy and bring it with me if you recommend this as the next step?

Otherwise my thought was that I might have to try intermediate texas method or keep grinding NLP and give it more time.

Assuredly, you still have the capability to grind more from your NLP. If you go back through the article that Rip linked, you ought to know that five to seven minutes between sets is not enough--the typical recommendation is 10-12 minutes for the advanced novice. It does appear on the surface at least that you have not taken too greedy of jumps on the lifts, and you should not expect to be able to make enormous workout to workout jumps anymore. The third question deals with recovery, which you answered--somewhat. I hate to nitpick, but how many macros are you eating? 250 grams of protein needs to be a priority coupled with enough carbohydrates to fuel your training sessions, and the fat ought to be Just Fine if you are getting enough of the other two.

Here is the biggest takeaway: rest more between sets. If you double your rest time, I promise that you will get unstuck. After that is handled, you will be in a better position to decide whether you want to gain weight; a body weight of 220 pounds at 5'11" is not a bad thing to say the least, and the fat is easy to take off after your NLP reaches its end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Rankin View Post
    Assuredly, you still have the capability to grind more from your NLP. If you go back through the article that Rip linked, you ought to know that five to seven minutes between sets is not enough--the typical recommendation is 10-12 minutes for the advanced novice. It does appear on the surface at least that you have not taken too greedy of jumps on the lifts, and you should not expect to be able to make enormous workout to workout jumps anymore. The third question deals with recovery, which you answered--somewhat. I hate to nitpick, but how many macros are you eating? 250 grams of protein needs to be a priority coupled with enough carbohydrates to fuel your training sessions, and the fat ought to be Just Fine if you are getting enough of the other two.

Here is the biggest takeaway: rest more between sets. If you double your rest time, I promise that you will get unstuck. After that is handled, you will be in a better position to decide whether you want to gain weight; a body weight of 220 pounds at 5'11" is not a bad thing to say the least, and the fat is easy to take off after your NLP reaches its end.
    Thanks for the reply, ok I will definetly give this a try worse case it makes no difference. Tommorow i will try 10 min between sets i just thought that with the meager weights i am moving it was enough rest since i can reproduce the same result of the first set on my last set.

As for macros I dont count very exactly but I do get 200 grams of protein each day for sure prob more most days, not sure about carbs more than 250grams for sure I am not trying to cut them out just fill the plate with pasta or rice and i eat a few sandwitches throughout the day.

Think a lighter squat day in the middle might make a difference? Also smaller jumps than 5.5lbs worth considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Siyamak View Post
    As far as jumps I have been doing 5.5 pound jumps for a while now should before chaging from NLP programing try smaller jumps? Smaller weights than that arent available at my gym but i could buy and bring it with me if you recommend this as the next step?
    You need to get a set of microplates to make any progress beyond the initial phases of the NLP. I am unsure if you will be able to get deliveries to Sweden, but I always recommend these: 2018 microplates for sale, METRIC now available.
    Last edited by Dalton Rankin; 09-10-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siyamak View Post
    Think a lighter squat day in the middle might make a difference?
    It most definitely will make a difference. I am a mediocre athlete at best, and I needed to add a light squat day around the 300 pound mark. Try the longer rest times in between sets first and move onto the light squat day if that does not do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Rankin View Post
    It most definitely will make a difference. I am a mediocre athlete at best, and I needed to add a light squat day around the 300 pound mark. Try the longer rest times in between sets first and move onto the light squat day if that does not do the trick.
    Thank you for the reply yes I will try all of the above

First I will up my calories and try longer rests if that fails I will get some smaller plates and incorporate a lighter squat day in the middle. Its not hard getting gym equipment here in Sweden actually prices are as far as i can tell even the same this is since basically not much got shut down during the "pandemic" and gyms stayed open.

Will get back to you all if and when i make progress!

Thanks again and also to coach Ripp.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry to repost in my own old thread but I thought maybe it would be better than starting a new thread, this is both an update and a question.

So following the advice here I increased my own weight from 205lbs to 216, incorporated a light squat day, increased my sleep as far as possible to 8-9 hours and upped my protein intake and surprise, surprise! my numbers went up! here are my new numbers

Squat is now 152.5kg or 336lbs 3x5
    Deadlift 402 lbs for 1x5
    Bench 259 lbs for 3x5
    Press 165 lbs for 3x

The problem is that i stalled again in the squat, deadlift I feel is still increasing i am confident next workout will be higher, press and bench has stalled but this is mostly due to injury. I am mostly worried about my squat and i care tbh most about squat. Last 4 weeks i havent been able to up my squat even with microloading i do manage to do 2 to 3 reps with microloading but I am nowhere near getting to 5 reps and havent noticed any increase in strength at all in the squat. I do give it my all even failed one set (without spotters and it wasnt pretty)

so my question is do i need to increase my body weight again? Is there any way to get results in the squat without gaining more weight? Should i finally do a reset or try one of the intermediate programs?

Would appreciate any input, thanks in advance and sorry for the broken in English not my first language.