starting strength gym

Thread: Taking an extra rest day?

Default Taking an extra rest day?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was wondering if taking an extra rest day every now and then, when you dont feel recovered is something worth considering? Assuming neutrion and sleep is as well as that person can manage?

For example myself I have worked out 3 times per week for approximately the past 3 months without any deviation from the program, that is 3 times per week, no sick days and no skipping. For the past 2 weeks I have felt my quadriceps to be sour and un recovered, I was thinking of taking just 1 extra days rest from squat and deadlift since the sourness feel like a major hindrance in my training.

Do you guys think this would be counterproductive?

Age 38, weight 202-205, height 5,11. Been doing NLP for about a year with interruption in the middle.

Thanks in advance

Having done NLP for a year in the past, I am assuming these 3 months have you further in your NLP than the first time. If so, do you have a light squat day in the middle each week?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Having done NLP for a year in the past, I am assuming these 3 months have you further in your NLP than the first time. If so, do you have a light squat day in the middle each week?
    It is now in the plans to incorporate after a previous post on the forum. Right now the problem is more acute this morning when I woke up both of my quadriceps area still felt sour mostly the upper part kind of like doms but more like its cramped and tired. Normally on my second rest day I feel already mostly recovered but it's been like this now for 2 weeks.

So tommorow I am supposed start the program again with squats, bench and deadlift so I was wondering should I..

A. Take tommorow off
    B. Train much lighter on squats
    C. Skip squats

Its I am sure time to incorporate light squat day but since tommorow is day 1 it wouldn't be a light day anyway. Basically I am wondering if for the current specific situation extra rest is the key or will it be better if I train but much lighter to circulate some blood through the muscle?

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thank you for the reply but I have read the above mentioned article and because of the current situation i actually counted calories for the first time this weekend and I did get about 6000 calories each day and 200gram or more protein. Sleps 10 hours now each day but still my quadriceps are actually worse now, tonight when i got out from a long car ride my legs cramped up and I have a strange sourness running the entire length of my quadriceps focused in the middle at this point it feels like tendonitis. First time this has happened.

Since I havent trained during this weekend and it seems to have gotten worse during inactivity am I correct in assuming that rest isnt the answer? I was thinking that tommorow I will go to the gym and grind it out no matter what and see where it leads me, any insight would be appreciated.

I just dont want to make it any worse than it is.

If you do have excessive soreness from DOMS, you definitely want to do light movement the days after or it will get worse. But I find it interesting that you are having this especially since these aren't new weights. Have you had a form check for your squats and deadlifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    If you do have excessive soreness from DOMS, you definitely want to do light movement the days after or it will get worse. But I find it interesting that you are having this especially since these aren't new weights. Have you had a form check for your squats and deadlifts?
    Believe me I am also baffled from this and it's not better today still feels cramped and I have been at the same weight 135kg for the past few weeks. So ok today I will squat light and see if it helps since resting didn't solve the problem. As for form no I haven't posted form check but now that you mention it and with my current issue I am sure that there has to be a problem.

I will post a video and ask for form check, thank you for the suggestions. Will hit the gym soon hopefully light squat helps.

Did you answer the questions?

starting strength coach development program
    Update I did light squats today backed off aprox 11 lbs or 5kg and the first set was terrible with my quads cramping up and almost gave out but i grinded through and after that it just got better, right now it feels much better than it during the weekend when i was resting. Its still not 100% but better I only feel the cramping now when i am trying to stand up, I dont really understand what is going on, might be a form issue or some form of tendonitis. Either way i am glad it got better somehow, I will still post form check as it is still the most likely cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Did you answer the questions?
    Yes coach I think so.

I rest more than 7 minutes now its closer to 8 or 9, increased it after a previouse post here on the forum.
    Taking no more than 5lbs jumps at the moment its the only thing available but I do plan on ordering micro plates that I will bring with me to the gym.
    Eating around 6000 calories and 200 grams of protein, sleep increased to 7-8 hours I cant increase my sleep any more atm because of life.

I was right now planning to on wednesday do 80% 5rm squat and try for a new pr with 5lbs increase on friday, or should I try for a new pr already on wednesday since I did a lighter session today?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.