starting strength gym

Thread: Having to move the weights from upstairs to outside in order to deadlift

Default Having to move the weights from upstairs to outside in order to deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello! Since I have doing SS I lifted upstairs in my room because that's where my squat rack is. Recently however my house started to crumble when I deadlifted(even though I have acquired rubber mats).

What I want to ask is would moving my weights outside in the yard after the pressing exercise compromise the execution of my deadlift? What worries me are the time spent moving the weights from upstairs to outside and the fatigue acquired in the process.

Thank you!

I'm in a similar situation in that I have my squat rack set up on my deck but need to do my deadlifts about 30 ft away on a concrete pad (which is up/down stairs en route). I don't think it's affected me really, just move the weights as you're doing the warm-ups/setting up your barbell and give yourself adequate rest between the last warm-up set and your work set(s). Granted this is all relative, if your deadlift is 700 lbs and you're moving it down 3 flights of stairs take my advice with a grain of salt.

Obviously, you should either let your house crumble (?) beneath the weights or stop deadlifting. Carrying the plates is not an option, imagine the fatigue. Also buying a second set of plates to store outside is not an option. Basically, you're doomed.

Since this Covid-19 thing happened, I bought my own equipment and have been training from home. I only have space to train outdoors in my yard, so I keep my equipment in the shed away from the weather and lug it outside every time I train. And back in once I'm done ofcourse. Lots of things are on casters so its not bad or very intensive at all, if anything it serves as a good warmup.

I don't think having to carry a bar and a few plates, down some stairs before your deadlift sets will be super fatiguing. Maybe keep some plates close to where you deadlift, as you're likely squatting and pressing less than what you deadlift so you won't be needing all your weight upstairs.

If you get tired just take a rest before you deadlift. It's not very intensive so you will recover quickly, unlike doing heavy farmer carries or something which might actually fatigue you and compromise your deadlift. Then there's the whole stress adaption thing some dude named Rip here keeps going on about. Pretty sure you'll just get used to it in no time...

Crazy, I have the same problem. Rack is in the house where I will be squatting, pressing and benching.
    But I dont want to/ can/t Dl on the floor. But hte back outer basement has a good concrete floow which I am going to use for DL.
    The problem is it is a pain the a** to get to the outside basement. Have to go outside, bend down under the back porch, and enter the outside basement.
    So moving plates and bars for each DL session will be impractical. Ended up buying plates and a barbell just for the DL area.
    Costs more but I know if I didn't will likely blow off moving 300-400 lbs of plates just to DL. And that does not include moving everything back upstairs.

starting strength coach development program
    Build a platform with plywood. Problem solved.