starting strength gym

Thread: Transitioning to Intermediate Program

Default Transitioning to Intermediate Program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I re-ran my novice linear progression starting in June when gyms reopened in Illinois. I've worked up to 375x5 in the squat (with 2 backoff sets @ about 90%). Bench @ 275x5x3, Press 145x5x3, Deadlift 405x3x1. Progress is still coming, albeit much more slowly, but I think I'd like to switch to a program that allows for some more assistance exercises, breaks up the monotony, and allows for a little more rest. I am 6', 215 lbs. 33 years old.

I have the Practical Programming 3rd edition. I'm debating between the High volume/low intensity or heavy & light day programs. I've done one lift per day but that feels a little too much like 5/3/1.

What is a good rule of thumb for switching to an intermediate program and how do you figure out what poundages to start at, or is this highly individual and best left to each lifter to tinker with and figure out on their own?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshK View Post
    So I re-ran my novice linear progression starting in June when gyms reopened in Illinois. I've worked up to 375x5 in the squat (with 2 backoff sets @ about 90%). Bench @ 275x5x3, Press 145x5x3, Deadlift 405x3x1. Progress is still coming, albeit much more slowly, but I think I'd like to switch to a program that allows for some more assistance exercises, breaks up the monotony, and allows for a little more rest. I am 6', 215 lbs. 33 years old.

I have the Practical Programming 3rd edition. I'm debating between the High volume/low intensity or heavy & light day programs. I've done one lift per day but that feels a little too much like 5/3/1.

What is a good rule of thumb for switching to an intermediate program and how do you figure out what poundages to start at, or is this highly individual and best left to each lifter to tinker with and figure out on their own?
    Have you failed any lifts ? If you have, check out the first three questions. Are you micro loading ? It’s really worth running NLP to the end stops. When you transition to intermediate progress will slow and you might just end up effectively running out the slack left over from an incomplete NLP. In other words you just used up time which would have been better used for NLP in the first place.

The “Minimum Effective Dose” series of articles here on the site is where you want to look.

Andy Baker has an article on his blog about successful transition to intermediate programming; I took a lot of inspiration from that.

Thanks. I will look into those articles.