starting strength gym

Thread: Stalling on pressing/programming moving forward

Default Stalling on pressing/programming moving forward

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sup y'all,

I believe I've hit a wall when it comes to benching and pressing. I'm running my NLP right now and my lifts are as follows so far:

Squat: 365x5x3 (light day on Wednesdays, no back-off sets yet, but probably coming very soon. Those 3x5s are grueling)

Bench: 237.5x5x2, x3 (this was the first time I tried hitting this weight)
    237.5x4, x3, x4 (second time I tried hitting this weight)

Press: 157.5x4, 157.5 x3x3 (first time)
    157.5x4x2, x3, x3 (second time)

Deadlift: 400x5

Chins: BWx11, x9, x6

Power Clean: 105x3x5 (I, being a weenie, decided to not do PCs at the beginning of my NLP, and I recently made myself do them. I regret skipping these. I am currently righting my wrongs. I'm working on making good progress on these. Inb4 "YNDTP")

My question is: how should I move forward with my pressing movements, and for my programming in general? I've already reset once for both pressing movements, and I think it's time to maybe go on to intermediate programming, unless I'm missing something. My lower body movements I think are nearing the end of an LP.

I am 25 years old, 5'9", 198lbs, new parent with a 5-month-old baby boy, getting about 6-8 hours of sleep a night, but that sleep is interrupted about 40% of the time. Waist size 33, eating about 4000 calories/day, getting AT LEAST 200g protein/day, and my favorite color is blue

Thank you for reading this lengthy post!

Question 1: I rest about 8 mins between squat sets, and about 5-7 mins between pressing movements. At the risk of sounding like I'm making excuses, that's about as long as I can rest. I have a wife and a baby who need me at home. On top of a 40-hour job (sometimes more), that's about my limit.

Question 2: I'm making 2.5lb jumps on my pressing movements. I have microplates which allow me to do that, and smaller jumps if needed.

I already answered question 3 in my original post.

What steps do I need to take to make more progress? I'm not necessarily wanting to go to intermediate programming if it's not necessary; I'm just wondering what's the next step.

I'm sure I need to get my form checked by an SSC, and probably purchase online coaching at some point.
    Last edited by Isaac Medina; 10-02-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have said many times that if you want to hurry through the workout, do it like this:

Warm up the squat, do your first work set, start the press/BP warmup, do your second work set of squats, finish the press/BP warmups, do the last squat work set, rest a minute or two, do the first pressBP work set, do your first deadlift/clean warmups, do the second press/BP work set, finish your deadlift warmup, do the last press/BP work set, do your deadlift work set, go home.
    Excellent advice. I'll make the adjustments. Thank you, Rip!