5`11``
    169lbs -> 188lbs (this morning)

SQ: 140 -> 240
    DL: 205 -> 285
    BE: 120 -> 141 (note/Q below)
    PR: 70 - 116

If context is needed, here's my NLP thread: LP Log, (re)Starting Strength

"First 3 Questions" Answers:
    I rest a lot between sets - I wait for heart rate to be ~90BPM which has meant 7-10 minutes between squat sets, 5-6 minutes between bench sets
    I do the prescribed jumps between workouts and was even conservative for the first few weeks on SQ/DL
    I eat more; I'm up 19 lbs in 8 weeks, but sleep is somewhat out of my hands as I have little kids who still get up in the night and early in the morning

On Monday, I feel like I strained my low back on my 235 squats. By feel like, I mean I had some weird rep failures - abs felt like they could not support my torso enough to stay flat, and was sore as hell this week. I got 16 reps done, but it was ugly - 5, 1 (extra), 4+1, 4+1. The extra 1 was feeling a weird "tweak" as I took the bar out and did one for set 2. Rested 2 minutes and then did 4 + failure, reset bar, do 1. I did a light squat day on Wednesday as my back was still wonky and that went well. Deadlifted 285 just fine. Then yesterday I did my 240 squats as an experiment. Sets 1 & 2 were hard but doable. I had that same weird "tweak" feeling on set 3 so I ended up doing a single (tweak), set it down for 20s, single (tweak) set it down for 20s, then a triple with no tweak feeling.

Q1: Am I just going to have to train through this odd feeling or is this a signal that I'm doing XXX wrong?

Bench Press... this has just been a bizarrely hard lift for me. I went up to 145ish more or less "normally", but I was failing early on that lift and it leaves me *exhausted*. I dropped back to a weight I knew I could do and reduced my jumps to 3lbs, but I've still felt *exhausted* after my bench sets.

Q2: Is this just a lift I suck at or is this normal or gain more weight or...? Power Cleans are missing from the program - I just cannot muster the energy after benching. I just want to die when those sets are over. At first I was making an excuse about equipment but when I really thought about why I wasn't doing them, it was exhaustion.

Hard to tell if you are doing something wrong without seeing some videos.

Thank you. Sorry for the delay in response, had family in town.

Honestly I don’t know how to get a video of myself. I work out alone in my garage. I may just have to meet with a SSC in my area.

Do you own a smartphone? They all have built in cameras. Just prop it on the floor and start the video recording feature. But yes if there is a SSC in your area that is highly recommended.

Thanks for following up! I did shift some crap around the garage to record. I'm posting work sets of squats and bench from last night:

Archon3D - YouTube

Things one notices when on camera... I see where it's feeling like my low back can't hold extension and it definitely feels that way. For context, I did 230 on Sunday and it did not feel remotely as hard as 235 last night.
    Bench, I dunno... the weight went up. It looks god-awful to me on video.

Barefoot AND above parallel? Delete it, Hayden.

What!? I watched frame by frame on my phone and that was definitely not above parallel... That or apparently I don't understand parallel - I thought it was hip joint below top of the patella?

Being more serious for a moment - the video is really helpful. There are a few squat reps that I'm not happy about in those videos. I'll definitely use it as a tool to correct technique going forward.

I'm not sure that I'll buy shoes just to make Mark happy(ish), but it's on a list of to-dos. The list is long :\

I did a light squat workout (80%) to make sure I had a good cue for depth and used video to make sure.

My main question was more about bench. It always feels like crap and I always feel like crap afterwards. Anything obvious in the videos? I can do a different angle if that would help.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry to spam, but I can't edit these prior posts. I'll just take this question to the Technique forum. Sorry to bother y'all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast