starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programming for someone who's already doing a lot of stupid.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Do you mean a 4.30 kilometer? A 430 mile is very very very very fast.

There aren't that many people who can run a 430.

If you went from 210 to 180 and your squat dropped from 315 to 200, you didn't just lose excess fat.

1. How fast can your run a mile now and what was your previous training like?

2. What are the standards for each activity and how close to them are you?

3. If 13 months from now you could run a 4 1/2 minute mile is a 165 bench good enough?

4 On the battlefield, which is more important running speed or strength?

why run a lot of miles a day when all ya need is one mile, under a 4:30?
    sprint intervals ?

Quote Originally Posted by yamshiloh View Post
    I discussion is not about that, the discussion is about how to get stronger while running a lot and not gaining weight, can you or can you not help with that?
    No one can help you with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Do you mean a 4.30 kilometer? A 430 mile is very very very very fast.

There aren't that many people who can run a 430.
    No country's special forces require mile times of 4:30, because they would not have but about 20 skinny people in the special forces.

1) 5:00
    2) there are many activities, I'm far enough that I can't allow to not train for them.
    3) I don't think so, why settle
    4) strength, but I ain't training for the battlefield, I'm training for selection, in which case running speed is more important. (Do acknowledge that in SF units the use of vehicles is less then infantry troops, since to the nature of the missions is 99% of the time stealth missions)

1) 5:00
    2) there are many activities, I'm far enough that I can't allow to not train for them.
    3) I don't think so, why settle
    4) strength, but I ain't training for the battlefield, I'm training for selection, in which case running speed is more important. (Do acknowledge that in SF units the use of vehicles is less then infantry troops, since to the nature of the missions is 99% of the time stealth missions)
    Ok. Although cutting 30 seconds per mile at your level is a lot harder than for someone who wants to go from an 8 minute mile to a 7:30 one, you should be able to train normally over the next 13 months. The main difference between what you should do and what someone who is focused solely on strength should do is that you will be adding weight to the bar more slowly and will jump to the intermediate level more quickly.

My understanding of special forces qualifying tests in most countries is that there are minimum standards in each event and opportunities to run up the score in areas where the applicant is strong. If that is true in your country, then you are almost certainly fast enough as a runner and jumps in strength may be more beneficial than increase in speed over a mile. What country are you in?

The minimum standard for Navy SEALs is 10:30 for a 1 1/2 mile run in boots and long pants and the competitive standard is 9 to 10 minutes. I can understand earning additional points for being faster, but I would be very surprised if the minimum standard is 4:30 for a mile in any country. Also, running in boots and long pants is a better approximation of necessary fitness than running in shorts and track shoes.

I discussion is not about that, the discussion is about how to get stronger while running a lot and not gaining weight, can you or can you not help with that?
    I can relate. I want to be a sea monster while at the same time I want to be a unicorn.

When I was younger, I ran a 433 mile. I wish you good luck. I just don't know if you understand how hard it is to chop 30 seconds off your time. Thousands of miles (sorry, SS folks, this is true).

Imagine how long it takes to increase a DL from 450 to 500 lbs..... That's the kind of work, time, dedication it will take.

Running a 430 is elite and there just aren't many normal people on the planet that can do it. It's not impossible... Just very hard to get there.

Good luck to you.

starting strength coach development program
    Hmmmm.... I'm definitely not any sort of special forces member (former or current), but I've listened to enough Jocko Podcast to know that during Navy SEAL training, which is probably different that what you're going through, but one very difficult selection process, they need to run about 4 miles @ 8:30/min pace in the sand after having been up for a few days. Difficult, yes, but in no way is it as hard as a 4:30 mile and is probably more like a 7:15-7:30 mile on pavement. However, running isn't really the important thing. I've heard all of his guests state this over and over again. It's the mental attitude and the willingness to never quit, no matter how hard it gets. In the absence of that, you can be as strong or as fast as you like, and you'll still quit. They're going to push you as hard as possible. They're going to find your breaking point and then push you well beyond it to see how you respond. You will probably fail and quit. That is, unless you have a strong mental fortitude... Like the type that is built when you move a weight you're pretty sure you can't move.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12