starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming for someone who's already doing a lot of stupid.

Default Programming for someone who's already doing a lot of stupid.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I have already finished novice LP.
    When I finished LP I weighed 210lbs.
    I now weigh 180lbs after cutting all the excess fat.
    My strength was this when finishing novice LP:
    Squat - 315
    Bench - 190
    Deadlift - 330
    Press - 147

My strength now after cut:
    Squat - 220
    Bench - 165
    Deadlift - 286
    Press - 116

After finishing novice LP I started running a lot since my goals are to get into a special forces unit in my country, so I don't mind if running isn't good for gym gains, I know it ain't, but I need to run because I need to be an amazing runner in order to pass selection.

The question is this: what program should I follow considering I'm running 8 miles a day as a minimum?
    And don't want to gain weight, at least not that would affect running performance.
    But I do want to get as strong as possible.

Thanks, I'm a meat head, I know helping out a runner sucks and all you want to tell me is to ditch running and gain 50 lbs, I know, but it's not suited for my goals.

Thank you, have a good day!

You need to do the program that will help you to get maxiumum score on your exam. If it is runnig they want than run.

You already know what to do to get strong - eat and lift heavy.

It's hard to answer this without knowing when selection is, but ultimately you need to build back up again. Reset your weights and doing a LP back up again, but go very slow with the jumps and you can alternate light days with heavy days right from the get go. Make sure you are eating enough protein and more carbs now that you will have double training.

Selection is 13 months from now.
    I will try to go through LP again as you suggested, alternating light and heavy days.
    Will this work though? Since I won't be gaining weight.

Thanks

How long do you think it takes a young man to get in shape to run? 13 months?

Yeah, as Rip noted that is a ton of time. You should be able to get into shape for running in 1-2 months. Stick with lifting as your primary focus until then.

How fast do you need to run and how far away from that goal are you? The question is important because how you should train as a lifter will be dependent on how much you need to improve as a runner. Take the reverse scenario where a runner needs to build strength in order to be admitted into an elite unit. If an untrained young male runner only needs to increase his bench by 50 lbs. in 13 months to qualify, it might not interfere with his running. If he hopes to add 200 lbs. at the end of 13 months, he will need to drastically curtail his running to have even a prayer of succeeding.

I competed in two sports in college and lifted on my own. Running 8 miles at a moderate pace as a young athlete would have had only a minimal effect on my ability to lift. On the other hand, competing in other sports at a national level interfered with my lifting. Similarly, heavy squats and deadlifts after morning practice made it difficult to even get through an afternoon practice.

I don't need to be just able to run. I need to be as good as a professional runner.
    4:30min mile for example.
    It absolutely doesn't take 1-2 months.
    If it was then everyone who is running for 2 months would be knocking out 4:30min miles every where. It ain't the case.

Suggestions for programming? Considering I am running a lot of miles each day and not gaining weight.

Quote Originally Posted by yamshiloh View Post
    I don't need to be just able to run. I need to be as good as a professional runner.
    The "Special Forces" in your country gets paid to run? They don't have cars and helicopters? Everybody in your country's special forces runs a 4:30 mile? What fucked up country do you live in?

starting strength coach development program
    I discussion is not about that, the discussion is about how to get stronger while running a lot and not gaining weight, can you or can you not help with that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast