starting strength gym

Thread: Help with 2nd Bench Press day

Default Help with 2nd Bench Press day

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    To give a very brief background, I powerlift and my routine (not including accessories) goes Monday Bench 2x5, 1x5+, Tuesday Squat same rep scheme as Bench, Thursday 2nd Bench day, Friday Deadlift same rep scheme as 1st Bench day and Squat. On my first Bench day after benching I do a shoulder exercise. I’m seeing progress on my lifts so there is the argument “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it,” but I think I can program the 2nd Bench day better. Right now I’m doing 10x2-3@50% of the calculated max from Monday to give myself more practice because the Bench is the exercise I’m lease comfortable with and confidant with my form...so more practice. Is 10x2-3@50% a good call or is there a way to make better use of that day? Thanks!

Why do you need "practice" benching 50%? Has technique at 50% been a problem for you?

Thank you for the response and question! I’m not as confident with my form on the Bench Press than on the Squat and Deadlift so I was thinking that a 2nd day benching could help me with that and that 50% would be light enough that the weight itself doesn’t challenge keeping good form, but something heavy enough that I’m not just pressing air.

Thank you. It taught me a lot, although it makes it harder for me to figure out how to program a 2nd Bench Press day. If I understood it correctly what would make more sense would be working at more around 90% or 95% since that would be more specific. I liked the baseball analogies.