starting strength gym

Thread: Weight ratio and stats

Default Weight ratio and stats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone

I am a 44 year old male novice lifter (91kg/200lbs) and doing Starting Strength for 1 month now (phase 2).
    Reading the second and third edition gave me so much valuable information, highly recommended to anyone who wants to get stronger!

I would like to have your opinion about the ratio of my current weight stats though:
    Squat: 47,5kg/105lbs with 2,5kg/5,5lbs progression weight
    Press: 25kg/55lbs with 1kg/2,2 lbs progression weight
    Deadlift: 72,5kg/160lbs with 2,5kg/5,5lbs progression weight
    Bench Press: 30kg/66lbs with 2kg/4,4lbs progression weight
    Powerclean: 24kg/53lbs with 2kg/4,4lbs progression weight

Question 1) Is the ratio of the different weights ok or is a one ore more too far ahead or behind?

In order of feeling most heavy at this moment: deadlift, squat, press, bench, clean.

Question 2) Are the progression weights ok and would it be ok to already take smaller jumps for deadlift and squat?
    I can perform all worksets but especially the deadlift becomes more difficult and am not sure to wait until I can not perform the workset properly or lowering the progression weight already.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Regards.
    Tom

How tall are you? How many weeks are you in to your NLP? What were your starting weights? These numbers all look pretty low at first glance.

At some point the upper body lifts will need to move to 1kg jumps when they get hard. For the SQ and DL taking jumps less than 2kg is generally not the biggest bang for your buck. When that time comes, it's better to modify the programming.

Thanks for your reply Hayden-William.

I am 1.90m/6.2feet tall and 4 weeks in to NLP.
    Starting weights was the empty bar (20kg/45lbs) for all exercices except for the deadlift which was 40kg/90lbs.

I am aware the Numbers are low for now but only doing the program for 4 weeks.
    Because I want to continue and increasing the weight as long as possible I wanted to know to better continue as it is now, lower the weights now or later or change anything else.

Thanks.

Ok coach, got my blue book back off the shelf to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
    Ok coach, got my blue book back off the shelf to figure out what I am doing wrong.
    Read the whole thing but definitely read page 27 and you might see one reason your numbers are so low.

Thank you Justin.

I have read and re-read the topics on programs and the method and narrowed it down to:
    * indeed the starting weights; I started with the bar only (except for the deadlift) in stead of adding weight until proper form is compromised.
    * adding the power clean to soon.

So with the next workout A and B I add weight on all exercices for sets of five until the Next jump would alter my form and do two more sets of five. From then on I increase weight with 5kg on deadlift and squat and smaller jumps on press, bench and power clean.
    If these jumps become to heavy I take smaller jumps (with a minimum of 2 kg for deadlift and squat and as little as needed for the other exercices as long as weight can be added each time).
    Is this the correct way to proceed?

Another question on power clean: I added the power clean after 3 weeks. Is this to soon and better stay as long as possible in phase 1?
    When to add the power clean?
    Same for back extensions and chin-ups/pull-ups? Wait as long as possible and to be added at all or optional as long as progress is made with current phase?

Thanks again for all feedback!

The power clean is highly technical so starting at light weights and just practicing several times a week it is advised. But it doesn't need to be added to the main program until the DL needs a light day. Skip back extensions until you are clearly an intermediate. Chins can be added as a novice, but wait until you are solidly into you LP so that you know all else is working well.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you Hayden.
    So I go back to phase 1, add weight on all exercises and take if from there.

Looking forward to do the program and posting my stats in a few months.