starting strength gym

Thread: Dynamic Effort and bar flying off back

Default Dynamic Effort and bar flying off back

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have started the TSFOB off-season program from Practical Programming for Strength programming, and just did my first dyanmic effort squat set (in a while). I did it while I was doing intermediate programming with no real issues. However, now 60% of my 1RM (505) which is aroud 305lbs causes the bar to fly off my back, sometimes by two or three inches, if I go as fast as possible. I assume this isn't supposed to happen? Do I just keep adding weight until it doesn't do that, go up to 65%-ish?

You have to learn how to drive fast through the middle and slow down at the easy part at the top.

Fred Hatfield (dr squat) used to recommend light bands for his CAT training to avoid this problem. Band tension would be very light and only noticeable on the last few inches of the ROM, unlike Westside does.

Fred called the method "Compensatory Acceleration," slowing down when it gets easy at the top. He was the Father of the Dynamic Effort idea, way before Louie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Fred called the method "Compensatory Acceleration," slowing down when it gets easy at the top. He was the Father of the Dynamic Effort idea, way before Louie.
    Didn't know you were supposed to decelerate at the end. I think I got the info above from an interview with Josh Bryant from a few years back.

I never acctually looked much into CAT training, I know it's like the OG Dynamic Effort, but something similar could be said of "make the plates rattle at the top" couldn't it?

starting strength coach development program
    If you read Louie’s stuff and sift through his confusing style you’ll find that the weights should be between 70 and 85% because he uses 25% in band tension. You have two options here. First you can keep adding weight until at your max speed the bar stays put. Secondly you could add light band tension.