starting strength gym

Thread: My son has really gravitated towards the weights

Default My son has really gravitated towards the weights

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    He is 15yrs old now and he weighs 147. He eats a ton and is starting to gain in size. You hear of stories of guys doing starting strength for a year before they have to switch routines. My son is starting to stall on squats and bench is always an issue. Other than the "he has to eat more" answer do the veterans here have any suggestions as to how to get the lifts going again. Thanks,

Lifts are the following
    Bench 120x1
    Squat 160x1
    Deadift 230x1

Hi Coach, it is an honor to have you reply to my question. I have read starting strength and have had that routine beaten into my head on my journey upwards in the weight game. I get what you are saying in the article that you posted. i guess times are different. When I was a youth and with my dad on the block pile and he said to move the 75 to 80lb block over here and then got yelled at for not carrying 2 of them to balance myself out all he said to me was you are not doing it faster. He also said it would make me stronger. This was at the ripe old age of 12-13. My son wants to play baseball and the size of his school and the amount of kids going out makes it impossible to not lift weights or you won't make the team. A kid in his grade along with some other football players are deadlifting 500 with a trap bar already at 15-16. My son doesn't have the rip your face off to win yet mentality yet but last year when he did not make the team and the coach said he needed a stronger arm to make it I had to ask if I could help him. He sat around playing video games all the time and didn't lift weights. That got him in the position of left out. I am not trying to pave the road for him but all I know is that I wish my father would have taken me and say you better lift weights to get better. All I got was "Get your ass up, lets go to work!' If left up to my son even after missing the team he would still play video games the majority of his day. All I am saying is just give me 35 to 40 minutes and I will get you stronger.

I took my son to a SS Camp for squat and DL.
    He loved it. My theory is to show them early how to do the lifts correctly. They will stop listening to Dad,