starting strength gym

Thread: 90-Day Novice Progression Stats FYI

Default 90-Day Novice Progression Stats FYI

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    OK I'm 48 years old with a lame knee. Not a rank novice lifter, but pretty much sedentary over the last few years. Skinny fat office worker.

Here's my stats over 90-days:

Bodyweight 204 lbs to 221 lbs

All numbers are in KG and reflect 5 reps X 3 working sets

Squat 80 to 132.5, 66% increase
    Press 40 to 70, 75% increase
    Bench 70 to 100, 43% increase
    Deadlift 100 to 150, 50% increase

We had to start adding some volume (lower weight but higher reps or sets)over the past week as my progress began to stall in the press, bench, and deadlift.

I'm very pleased with the progress I've made. I've eaten as much as possible and have rested as much as possible. I did put on a good bit of fat, but have corresponding increases in muscle mass.
    None of my pants, underwear, and most of my shirts no longer fit me.

I've actually started to go into a very slight "cut" by a few hundred calories per day because my ass is giving Kim Kardashian and J-Lo a run for their money.

For those of you who have "done the program", how would you measure my progress? Should i continue with a mini cut for a few lb fat drop or keep eating like a beast? I'm at 2800 kcal, down from 3500.

90DLP.jpg

Have you done phase 2 and 3 of the NLP, adding power cleans and chin-ups/back extensions? you should reduce your deadlifting frequency when introducing PCs according to the program and I'm guessing that 5reps for 3sets doesn't refer to your deadlift cause that would be different from the program too and way too much volume. You should share your macros, but if you gained a considerable amount of fat I would suggest increasing your protein intake to 250g, especially if you're trying to lose weight.

Are you really doing 3 sets of 5 deadlifts? Why is your deadlift so low compared to your SQ? Have you had any form checks done?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Are you really doing 3 sets of 5 deadlifts? Why is your deadlift so low compared to your SQ? Have you had any form checks done?
    No, I only do one set of 5 deadlifts. Everything else was 3x5. Not sure why my DL is relatively lower than squat. Yes, I have had regular form checks. Not sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Have you done phase 2 and 3 of the NLP, adding power cleans and chin-ups/back extensions? you should reduce your deadlifting frequency when introducing PCs according to the program and I'm guessing that 5reps for 3sets doesn't refer to your deadlift cause that would be different from the program too and way too much volume. You should share your macros, but if you gained a considerable amount of fat I would suggest increasing your protein intake to 250g, especially if you're trying to lose weight.
    Yes, and no. I only DL 2 x weekly and do weighted chins midweek. I try to hit 225 pro but fall short. Ice cream is so much more fun to eat!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Thotocracy View Post
    Yes, and no. I only DL 2 x weekly and do weighted chins midweek. I try to hit 225 pro but fall short. Ice cream is so much more fun to eat!
    My advice is you should stick to the program and do phase 3 correctly, unless there's a reason why you are not doing power cleans?
    Also I don't see why you can't eat ice cream AND 250g of protein. You are probably overtraining and undereating. If you can alternate deadlift/power cleans/bodyweight and weighted chin-ups+back extensions like the program says, and eat more protein, you should see some results