starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlifting after squatting with a tired lower back

Default Deadlifting after squatting with a tired lower back

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I'm a 31 year old male, I measure 1.87m (6.1ft) and I weigh 84Kg (185lbs).

I have been doing the programme for about a month and my squat went from nothing to 104Kg (229lbs) for 3 sets of 5, and keeps increasing. Before the programme I was already doing deadlifts at 165Kg (364lbs) for a set of 5.

My problem is the following: now that I'm getting the hang of squats and I keep adding weight, I can no longer lift the same weight in the deadlift because my lower back is too tired. I don't wear a belt but I have ordered one from Dominion Strength Training, it still hasn't arrived.

Should I stop squatting and deadlifting in the same workout? Would my lower back adapt in the end to allow me to deadlift "heavy" after squatting? Would the belt fix it?

Thanks for any help!

Have you read the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you read the book?
    Hi Rip. Yes, did I miss something?

I know I'm supposed to squat and deadlift in the same workout. Also that a belt, with valsalva, helps to keep the torso rigid to transmit force and to protect your spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory M View Post
    Hi, I'm a 31 year old male, I measure 1.87m (6.1ft) and I weigh 84Kg (185lbs).

I have been doing the programme for about a month and my squat went from nothing to 104Kg (229lbs) for 3 sets of 5, and keeps increasing. Before the programme I was already doing deadlifts at 165Kg (364lbs) for a set of 5.

My problem is the following: now that I'm getting the hang of squats and I keep adding weight, I can no longer lift the same weight in the deadlift because my lower back is too tired. I don't wear a belt but I have ordered one from Dominion Strength Training, it still hasn't arrived.

Should I stop squatting and deadlifting in the same workout? Would my lower back adapt in the end to allow me to deadlift "heavy" after squatting? Would the belt fix it?

Thanks for any help!
    I had the same problem. My squat was at 110kgx5, and dead at 160kgx5. I simply alternated squats and deads. So for example monday was squat 3x5 + upper body, wednesday was dead 1x5 + upper body, friday squat 3x5 + upper body. Kind of like you do in Greyskull lp, except I always started the workouts with either deadlift or squat, instead of the upper body lifts.

I think you need to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    I think you need to eat.
    I am! Mind you, three months ago I was weighing 74Kg (163lbs).

Quote Originally Posted by SivariKing View Post
    I had the same problem. My squat was at 110kgx5, and dead at 160kgx5. I simply alternated squats and deads. So for example monday was squat 3x5 + upper body, wednesday was dead 1x5 + upper body, friday squat 3x5 + upper body. Kind of like you do in Greyskull lp, except I always started the workouts with either deadlift or squat, instead of the upper body lifts.
    I was thinking of doing something like that but I didnīt want to mess with the programme too much. I wonder if at some point my low back will stop being tired to be able to deadlift after squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory M View Post
    I wonder if at some point my low back will stop being tired to be able to deadlift after squat.

Not the way you're going about it. Deadlifting heavy after squatting sets across is asking for trouble. Keep it up and you may hear and feel a little pop in your lower back. A muscle tear will set your deadlift back a lot.

How about this. Deadlift just once a week. Do it at the start of the session and don't squat heavy in the same session. Most trainees won't deadlift heavy for at least a couple of months but you're there already. Now your deadlift is heavy enough that a week of recovery between sessions is needed to prevent overtraining and injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Not the way you're going about it. Deadlifting heavy after squatting sets across is asking for trouble. Keep it up and you may hear and feel a little pop in your lower back. A muscle tear will set your deadlift back a lot.
    Really? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post

How about this. Deadlift just once a week. Do it at the start of the session and don't squat heavy in the same session. Most trainees won't deadlift heavy for at least a couple of months but you're there already. Now your deadlift is heavy enough that a week of recovery between sessions is needed to prevent overtraining and injury.
    That's not the way I read the NLP unless I've missed something?

starting strength coach development program
    Programming Quiz: If deadlifting 3x per week is affecting your ability to recover properly from deadlifting what is the most simple adjustment one could make?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast