starting strength gym

Thread: New member, transitioning from Stronglifts, currently reading the book

Default New member, transitioning from Stronglifts, currently reading the book

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, all. This is my first thread/post, and I'm excited to be another member of the Starting Strength community.

I've done strength training in the past, so I know this works for both strength and size. I'm getting back into it after almost 2 years away.

I was doing Stronglifts, but after doing reading and research, I have decided to switch to Starting Strength.

I'd like to ask: what were your results like after for examples 6, 9, and then 12 months of SS? I know there are many veterans here who have done SS and other programs such as Texas Method for years and therefore you are solid, large, and very strong. I ask because I know how my own body responds, but as this will be my first time doing Starting Strength (and this also means the first time I'll be doing power cleans), I'm wondering how a new system will impact my strength and size development.

I also plan to attend a training camp before 2020 is over.

Glad to be here!

How your body will respond at monthly time points will depend on many factors such as your age, sex, sleep, nutrition, and training history. You will also likely need intermediate programming by 9 months, so a variety of decisions have to be made then regarding goals. The videos highlighting clients at SS gyms give a good indication of what different types of people have accomplished if you want to see some examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    How your body will respond at monthly time points will depend on many factors such as your age, sex, sleep, nutrition, and training history. You will also likely need intermediate programming by 9 months, so a variety of decisions have to be made then regarding goals. The videos highlighting clients at SS gyms give a good indication of what different types of people have accomplished if you want to see some examples.
    Thanks for the reply. I understand that it's difficult to give "specifics" given all the variables you mentioned.

I'm excited for what's coming in terms of results! I'm currently reading the book! It's incredibly detailed.

So my next question has to do with squat form.

After watching several Mark Rippetoe coaching videos, I learned by asking other lifters at the gym that my form needs improvement. It has improved through the Rippetoe videos I watch at the gym (and outside it as well). But I can tell I'm still struggling with the "butt wink" even though I understand hip drive. I'd also like to clarify I've read the Starting Strength chapter on the squat.

I have no problems with any of the other lifts (power clean will come later). And, I am almost guaranteed to be attending one of the upcoming late 2020 events where I can learn the squat's form from a certified SS instructor.

But my question is: with a few weeks to go before these events take place, what would be the recommended solution - to keep squatting even if not 100% correctly with the reasoning that every rep and set will get me closer to proper form, and so that I do get stronger even if my form needs correction later... or should I leave squats out altogether until I attend an event?

The latter option is difficult to accept because my form has improved in recent time and I feel I "mostly" get it, although I recognize a SS coach's assistance would push me over the edge to finally having 100% proper form.... and because if I don't do squats at all while I simply wait to attend an event, I'm not doing the program, as the squat is done on every workout (and that continues even when the deadlift is alternated with the power clean later on).

I did try to ask some of the staff at my gym for help but they were interested only in selling me a block of personal trainer sessions, something which I refused because I want to do Starting Strength. I actually had more constructive feedback asking more experienced lifters rather than the gym staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thank you sir! You are a gentleman and a scholar and I've learned a lot from your videos and am learning from the book!

Quote Originally Posted by Yulgarian View Post
    I did try to ask some of the staff at my gym for help but they were interested only in selling me a block of personal trainer sessions, something which I refused because I want to do Starting Strength. I actually had more constructive feedback asking more experienced lifters rather than the gym staff.
    I tend to find staff at most gyms know sweet fuck all about training. At my gym, there’s me and a 75 year old guy (I’m 45) doing the program. We spent some time last Friday observing some gym staff working out and commenting to each other on their bad form and general fuck-tardery. When you do Starting Strength, and I mean read the books, articles and training vids the scales fall from your eyes!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciusSulla View Post
    I tend to find staff at most gyms know sweet fuck all about training. At my gym, there’s me and a 75 year old guy (I’m 45) doing the program. We spent some time last Friday observing some gym staff working out and commenting to each other on their bad form and general fuck-tardery. When you do Starting Strength, and I mean read the books, articles and training vids the scales fall from your eyes!
    Several weeks ago as I was doing deadlifts with my phone right there playing one of Mark Rippetoe's deadlift tutorials, one huge guy came over and told me I was doing it wrong.

I certain don't claim he's ignorant. I've seen pics of him shirtless; he's massive. But he too tried to sell me stuff - that turned me off big time.

But back to your point, trainers are like anybody else in any field. They are human beings with egos, pride, subjective viewpoints, and most of all, AGENDAS. They can certainly know a lot about nutrition, weight loss, fitness, etc. But their agenda was for me to sign up and pay thousands of dollars. My agenda is Starting Strength. And the gym owner, like those trainers, kept using lines like "we can make you become the best possible version of you."

I just hit, incidentally, a new personal record for military press (very little weight by SS standards, but it's the most I've managed to do 3 sets of 5 reps - I don't think I'd be doing it had I stuck to Stronglifts). That alone shows me I'm on the right path.