starting strength gym

Thread: Did I Start with Too Low a Weight for My Squat

Default Did I Start with Too Low a Weight for My Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a 46 year old male. I lifted in my teens and twenties. I'm 5'9" and 190 lbs. Began the Novice Program this week and my work sets are as follows:

Squat: 85lbs.
    Press: 65lbs.
    Deadlift: 125lbs.
    Bench: 105 lbs.

I was nervous about hurting my knees on the squat. Have had knee pain ascending stairs but felt fine with what I believe were correctly performed squats (knees shoved out over feet at a 30 degree angle) lifting with hip drive (not quads and knees).

Should I just stick with adding 5 to 10 lbs. to the squat for now and see where things go over the next few months? Should I try to feel out a higher work set weight for the squat since it's so low?

Thanks!

There is no harm just adding 5lbs to the SQ and starting with a slightly lighter working weight. In fact, if you don't have a coach giving you regular form checks, it is a safer way to go.

Thanks for your reply. I have been doing the NLP for a month now and missed one workout. Today's squat workout was 200 lbs. for three sets of five. I was going up in 10 lb. increments on the squat for each workout until today. Today was an increase of 5 lbs. from Thursday's squat workout.