starting strength gym

Thread: Having never trained the power clean, how much can it help me now?

Default Having never trained the power clean, how much can it help me now?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In PP:ST it states that as your deadlift outpaces your powerclean and the difference becomes greater and greater, the powerclean wont contribute as much to your deadlift.

As such when I made my 4 day TM split, i programmed light 3 sets of 5 deadlifts like in the book, However Deadlift intensity day is getting a lot harder. I anticipated having to make a switch to a submax pull such as defecit or Stiff leg. However I am now curious if powercleans would help. I have never done them but I was somewhat explosively athletic in track doing long jump, shot, discus, and short distant sprints. And ive heard Rip mention powercleans contribute the more athletic one is.

Thanks for any input, the deadlift is the only real problem for now My max is 480 and i just did 405 for a set of 5, Squat 425 bench 315 press 180. I am 225 6'1"

You don't do the power clean just to contribute to your deadlift. You power clean to contribute to your power clean, and your strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You don't do the power clean just to contribute to your deadlift. You power clean to contribute to your power clean, and your strength.
    Thanks for the reply Rip. Never had access to powercleans till now with my home gym and bumpers. Would you rank powerclean above the deadlift as a light day pull? Im just trying to keep my PR's on Deadlift consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Thanks for the reply Rip. Would you rank Powerclean above a deadlift for a light day? Would doing both in one day ever be appropriate?

Read the books.