starting strength gym

Thread: Help requestd to organise Andy Baker's programmes into an efficient training strategy

Default Help requestd to organise Andy Baker's programmes into an efficient training strategy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Because I'm pants at programming I've bought Andy Baker's GGW1, GGW2, SM40 & Power Building programmes.
    They should keep me out of mischief for a while!

What I'm after is some guidance on how to organise them into a long term, say yearly, training strategy.
    As it'll be a while before I could build up to the Power Building element I'd appreciate two options, one that includes the Power Building element and one that doesn't.

I've used the search function extensively but I haven't been able get the info I'm after.
    I've read summary of Executive Strength & some interesting articles including "Annual Periodisation" but I'm unable to interpret where the programmes that I've specified fit in against those mentioned in the articles.

Thanks in advance

Andy Baker's Annual Periodization articles are pretty clear cut, but they're also just an example of what he would do.

The takeaway is over time you want to keep things novel by doing periods of higher volume at lower intensities and periods of higher intensities and lower volumes (mainly to realize your gains and prevent burnout/repeated bout effect).

I've never purchased an Andy Baker program, but from what I understand the GGW programs are essentially powerbuilding and use the 852 setup. You sort of have 3 different powerbuilding programs listed.

For annual periodization, a lot of people like to do hypertrophy (higher volume, lower intensities) for 2-3 months followed by powerbuilding or strength focus (Mod volume, mod-high intensities). With that said, I've heard many good things about GGW, but if you don't want to do powerbuilding yet, you could look into the different HLM schemes out there. Bill Starr has some amazing articles about HLM and how to titrate workload over time to build progress. Don't expect to run Texas Method and make any gains for the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Andy Baker's Annual Periodization articles are pretty clear cut, but they're also just an example of what he would do.

The takeaway is over time you want to keep things novel by doing periods of higher volume at lower intensities and periods of higher intensities and lower volumes (mainly to realize your gains and prevent burnout/repeated bout effect).

I've never purchased an Andy Baker program, but from what I understand the GGW programs are essentially powerbuilding and use the 852 setup. You sort of have 3 different powerbuilding programs listed.

For annual periodization, a lot of people like to do hypertrophy (higher volume, lower intensities) for 2-3 months followed by powerbuilding or strength focus (Mod volume, mod-high intensities). With that said, I've heard many good things about GGW, but if you don't want to do powerbuilding yet, you could look into the different HLM schemes out there. Bill Starr has some amazing articles about HLM and how to titrate workload over time to build progress. Don't expect to run Texas Method and make any gains for the long term.
    Snake - there are several incorrect statements in here, both about my programs specifically as well as about training / programming in general. I do appreciate the the compliments about my work, but also, please do not comment about my programs if you haven't read them - because again - much of what you said here is completely inaccurate.

Ooops - this isn't the right venue to ask about the programs available on my website. Use the contact forms on my website to ask specific questions about products and services available on my website.

Andy thanks for the reply.

I sent a couple of emails to your Kingswood email but didn't hear back from you.
    I know you're a busy chap so thought I'd ask here.