starting strength gym

Thread: "Phase 3" NLP with more frequent Power Clean training?

Default "Phase 3" NLP with more frequent Power Clean training?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

A question regarding "phase 3" of NLP as written in the books. As a refresher to any other beginners reading, "Phase 3" is just when you're supposed to lower pulling frequency by alternating pulling (deadlift and clean) with supplemental exercises so you aren't deadlifting every other workout.

Makes perfect sense to me, but I was hoping to program more power clean frequency. One of my training goals is to get my clean up and eventually mess around with some olympic movements, and that's hard to do if I'm only putting on 2.5lbs or maybe 5lbs at the most every other week when I get to train power cleans.

Has anyone programmed something like the following, or some other way to add a little more practice on the power clean?

Squat every workout while alternating press and bench
    Monday: Power cleans
    Wednesday: Chins
    Friday: Deadlift

Thanks for any input. Hopefully this will help some other people on programming changes going through NLP.

First make sure you need to have a third day be lighter. If you do, then you are generating a lot of stress and have to mange that, but yes you can create a rotation that lets you work on the PC more. For example, your DL can be your heavy day, you can then have a light day where you PC to focus on technique (you can also throw chins in there), and then a medium day where you PC at a heavier weight and try to push the weight up over time.

Thanks, Coach. I do suspect, as I think you indicate in your first sentence, that I should look at diet and recovery etc to continue progressing on all lifts, probably without any program modification or light days for now.

I still may try adding technique work for PC somewhere and just deadlifting once per week. I feel like I can always do the next deadlift workout no problem, but squats and power cleans can really be a grind.