starting strength gym

Thread: Judo and an Odd Schedule

Default Judo and an Odd Schedule

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 35, I've been through the NLP and some more intermediate programming in the past. I've been training consistently for 4 years with few interruptions (lowered volume and intensity in the gym for 2 weeks to prepare for a PFT, that kind of thing).

I am a firefighter with a typical schedule (one 24 hour day on shift, followed by 48 hours entirely off).

I'm filling my time with Judo. Classes are usually about 2 hours long, with 30 to 40 minutes of that being conditioning and general Judo "stuff" done at intensity (shrimping, sprints, aggressive footwork drills etc). The rest is split up practicing technique at moderate intensity, or either fighting on the ground or standing. I only miss Judo when I'm at the firehouse. I'd say I average 3 days of Judo a week.

Would this still be the recommendation Previous Judo Post HERE.

I'm reading the Advanced chapter in PPST now, having skipped it in the past because it never seemed to apply to me.

Yes, Andy gives a more novice version and a more advanced version in that post. Ultimately you will have to customize based on how you are feeling/recovering, the time you have to spend training, and so on. You might want to start with the more novice one for a bit just to see how the dynamic works with your Judo given that it is a simpler program (may make it easier to see what might not be working for your particular arrangement).

Makes sense. Thanks for the confirmation.