starting strength gym

Thread: Bicep Curls really aren’t necessary after all

Default Bicep Curls really aren’t necessary after all

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All,

So I’ve been doing the Starting strength program since November of last year, doing LP for about 6-7 months (with Covid in the middle of it until I got my own weights), then moving onto the Texas Method. I’ve done nothing but the big 5 exercises and chins since I started. Went from 180 up to 220 in BW, and added 200 lbs to squat and DL, and in general am enjoying very much the modest strength increases and larger body size.

Just an observation, I’ve never done a barbell curl before today, but decided to do them with my friend who started working out with me in my home gym. He’s been doing general curling/benching type exercising for years, and grudgingly I decided to give them a whirl. I wound up doing 100 lbs bb curls for a double, 30 lbs more than he could do. Not super impressive on my part but I’m pretty proud for getting 100lbs for the first time ever doing them.

So I guess Rip is right, barbell curls probably aren’t necessary when starting an LP, chins did just fine for that.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

BW: 220
    Height 5’11
    Sq: 345
    OHP: 145
    BP 205
    PC 115
    Chins: 3x5

Yep. That's why chins are in the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepenguinman View Post
    Hi All,

So I’ve been doing the Starting strength program since November of last year, doing LP for about 6-7 months (with Covid in the middle of it until I got my own weights), then moving onto the Texas Method. I’ve done nothing but the big 5 exercises and chins since I started. Went from 180 up to 220 in BW, and added 200 lbs to squat and DL, and in general am enjoying very much the modest strength increases and larger body size.

Just an observation, I’ve never done a barbell curl before today, but decided to do them with my friend who started working out with me in my home gym. He’s been doing general curling/benching type exercising for years, and grudgingly I decided to give them a whirl. I wound up doing 100 lbs bb curls for a double, 30 lbs more than he could do. Not super impressive on my part but I’m pretty proud for getting 100lbs for the first time ever doing them.

So I guess Rip is right, barbell curls probably aren’t necessary when starting an LP, chins did just fine for that.

Height 5’11
    BP 205
    PC 115
    While you may be correct, depending upon what you mean by "necessary", your "test" of your hypothesis is nonsense.

An decent test would have been to test your curl before dropping them to do LP and then testing them again later.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepenguinman View Post
    Hi All,

Height 5’11
    BP 205
    PC 115
    Not my experience at all; I've found my curl strength to be independent of chin up strength, pull up strength, or my strength on any other movement. I'm poor at them, always have been and I'm weaker on them now than I was when I trained them weekly as a bro-splitter in my 20s even though I couldn't do as many chin ups then as I can now and even though I am much heavier and have added sizeable amounts to my main lifts. I rarely train them now, maybe twice a week for 6 weeks at a time, once per year.