starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the 2 day rest required for Texas Method?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was just expressing amazement at how far a NLP could go. I'm still going up 15 lbs a week at 220, even if that tapers a lot, it's still going to end up way past any PRs I had previously. Last NLP got absolutely miserable around 240. For some reason I expected it to get much more difficult once I hit my last sticking point.

On reflection there's really no reason why my previous, inconsistent and not well rested NLP would have any meaningful impact on how this one runs. I've also come to realize that it's a bit of a limiting personal belief with no basis in reality.

Previously I was on some programming at my gym that worked me through a lot more volume than SS ever did. I remember doing 4x6 on 75% deadlift plus similar numbers on accessory deadlift. The first few weeks were hell, but since then I've had zero issues with DOMS or recovery. This NLP is running much better than the last one.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but what's painfully obvious to the expert is less so to a novice. It didn't seem in the books that there was anything magical about the 7 day cycles other than convenience of scheduling.

I guess nothing to do but give it a few months at this point. I already have the fractional weights from last run.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mike0987 View Post
    I was just expressing amazement at how far a NLP could go. I'm still going up 15 lbs a week at 220, even if that tapers a lot, it's still going to end up way past any PRs I had previously. Last NLP got absolutely miserable around 240. For some reason I expected it to get much more difficult once I hit my last sticking point.

On reflection there's really no reason why my previous, inconsistent and not well rested NLP would have any meaningful impact on how this one runs. I've also come to realize that it's a bit of a limiting personal belief with no basis in reality.

Previously I was on some programming at my gym that worked me through a lot more volume than SS ever did. I remember doing 4x6 on 75% deadlift plus similar numbers on accessory deadlift. The first few weeks were hell, but since then I've had zero issues with DOMS or recovery. This NLP is running much better than the last one.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but what's painfully obvious to the expert is less so to a novice. It didn't seem in the books that there was anything magical about the 7 day cycles other than convenience of scheduling.

I guess nothing to do but give it a few months at this point. I already have the fractional weights from last run.
    It sounds like you're starting to understand this program a bit. Perhaps the best thing to do is not anchor your expectations in this NLP on your experience with other gym programs or NLPs where you weren't following the program. Follow the program and run the NLP to its real conclusion, which will blow past any PRs you've previously set.

One of the biggest issues, and likely Rip's biggest frustration, is that people are in too much of a hurry to declare themselves Intermediates so they can brag to themselves and others that they're doing TM or some other programming that they really aren't ready for, then blaming the program when things don't go as expected. At 39, you're starting to get into that demographic where that volume that your gym was having you do will be counterproductive. Search the site for "Minimum Effective Dose," which will be more important as those birthdays tick by. Trust me, I know. At 52, I still want to program 3 days a week and go up 5lbs each time. But reality dictates...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12