starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the 2 day rest required for Texas Method?

Default Is the 2 day rest required for Texas Method?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Did a novice progression years ago (2014) and now I'm back to it. Currently 39 and retired so scheduling, time, diet and sleep are no longer issues.

I'm 1 month in, I've been working out every other day (14 sessions total)

Squat 105 -> 210
    Bench 85 -> 150
    Deadlift 135 -> 265

Power clean was introduced 9 days ago, Chins will be introduced in 3 days. Currently doing 5 lb jumps on Squat/Bench Press will likely hit 2.5lb jumps soon. 10 lb jumps on deadlift still.

My question isn't really my individual situation as I'm not stuck and I'm still doing NLP. It's just a general one: Is the two day rest for SS/Texas Method intentional programming or just a factor of most people's schedules? I've been reading Practical Programming and it doesn't seem required, but the Texas Method has a 2 day rest and I didn't see any examples of it done on a 6 day schedule. So far in NLP, recovery has not been an issue at all. If anything I feel squats go better the session after deadlifts. My body previous was accustomed to plenty of volume on the lifts doing other programming.

So my question is can I just skip the 2 day rest? Is it going to come back to haunt me? Or should I just proceed and pay careful attention to whether I'm short on rest vs volume?

Unless these numbers are kilos, you're about 6-8 months away from any version of the Texas Method. By then you will understand the need for the extra rest.

Just curious, Starting Strength Novice program has worked for thousands of people. Why do you feel the need to change it?

Six more months of this? That's going to be a lot of weight on the bar... I'm going to need to start buying size medium t-shirts.

Is the 2 day rest for the NLP required too? Do mix and match weights at my gym (it's $10/mo so I'm not complaining) mean that I won't be able to make full use of fractional weights? Or should I bring in a sharpie and start weighing and marking their plates? I'm asking these questions because I'm trying to run this thing as perfectly as is possible, it's just a lot to absorb out of these books.

Anyways just was reading the book again since I lacked the context to really absorb it all the first time around, not planning on doing TM until the NLP devolves into absolute hell. Or whatever the criteria is in the book, I'll reread it as the time approaches.

Six more months of this? That's going to be a lot of weight on the bar... I'm going to need to start buying size medium t-shirts.

Is the 2 day rest for the NLP required too? Do mix and match weights at my gym (it's $10/mo so I'm not complaining) mean that I won't be able to make full use of fractional weights? Or should I bring in a sharpie and start weighing and marking their plates? I'm asking these questions because I'm trying to run this thing as perfectly as is possible, it's just a lot to absorb out of these books.

Anyways just was reading the book again since I lacked the context to really absorb it all the first time around, not planning on doing TM until the NLP devolves into absolute hell. Or whatever the criteria is in the book, I'll reread it as the time approaches.

Troll.

There's really no way to respond to that, I'm in the gym pushing the regularly scheduled 215 as we speak. Those are just my questions. Sorry about the double post but I can't seem to remove it on mobile.

If you don't want to respond, you don't need to. It's not like I'm paying for your time, you can just skip it or delete it and I'll just do whatever seems best given what's written in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by mike0987 View Post

You're definitely putting the cart before the horse. At this stage, don't worry about what's going on with TM programming, as you won't be there for quite a while yet. Yes, seriously. Your second two paragraphs quoted above are exactly why. If you do it correctly, it's going to turn into a grind, adding 1lb (or less) to each lift. It's all outlined in the book.

As far as the troll comment, re-read the bolded portion of your post. That might have been snark, but it doesn't translate.

Quote Originally Posted by mike0987 View Post

You can buy your own fractional plates and bring them with you.

You can also try doing every other day, skipping the 2-day rest, and see how it goes. It might get old pretty quick. It's also possible the NLP swat team will drag you out of the gym for not doing the program just right, so maybe wear a disguise.

starting strength coach development program
    This reminds me of the classic Simpsons line when the bowling alley guy tells Homer to change his underwear. Homer asks why. Guy responds "when it happens you'll know". Same thing here. Run your squat up to 330-350 before thinking about changing programs, and at that point you'll be know why there are 2 rest days back to back. You'll also realize why TM is a young man's game and why a split routine probably makes more sense for you. This board is littered with the metaphorical corpses of older people trying TM (I'm the same age as you, I'm also one of those corpses....if you can do it more power to you but the odds aren't in your favour).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast