starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbell prescription- 39 years

Default Barbell prescription- 39 years

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So it is hard for me to keep up with the NLP in terms of recovery and life stuff. I think I ended the progression in june, but then just got fed up with feeling drained the whole time. Kids, life, running a business and shit just makes it hard to recover and I dropped out from the follow up (i.e. switching to 4 days a week or whatever programme).

The barbell and the full body workout 3 days a week is however the best and most optimal training regime (for me) I have ever found and I want to keep at it in a structured manner.

I cant just ”suck it up” and do the programme, I’ve tried it 3 times and I end up tired in all areas of life. Its just what it is, I have other stuff to do then lift and recover. But I also want to get strong, balancing lifting with everything else.

I want to squat, press and pull 3 times a week and make progression in the long haul (setting PRs when I turn 50). I dont mind if the progression from start is a 10/5 kg increase every second week (or whatever) as long as it is a progress.

I am wondering if anyone in my age (39) has done the barbell prescription programme/s instead of the SS NLP? All I read about the book is that it is for ”old” people (50+ or so). I am not even 40, and I hear about 50+ people finishing NLP, but at the same time my recovery just dont add up in/with life.

If not, would it be better to just start with a 4 day split (as in PP)? The fast progression of the NLP wont be there, but I would probably be lifting on a regular basis in the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturw View Post

I am wondering if anyone in my age (39) has done the barbell prescription programme/s instead of the SS NLP? All I read about the book is that it is for ”old” people (50+ or so). I am not even 40, and I hear about 50+ people finishing NLP, but at the same time my recovery just dont add up in/with life.

If not, would it be better to just start with a 4 day split (as in PP)? The fast progression of the NLP wont be there, but I would probably be lifting on a regular basis in the long haul.
    Not your age. I'm a 57 yo female. Old. I started & ran the NLP doing the 3x week MWF scheduling, and about 6? months in, switched to a four day split and it made a BIG difference in my ability to recover and continue to make progress. Also, importantly, it fit my schedule well. YMMV.

This post is where Rip will post The First Three Questions.

With your lifestyle, the biggest things will be food and recovery (recovery is key for everyone, it's just that the capability is wasted on youth). You'll need to prioritize sufficient sleep. I know I didn't in my 30s and 40s, and it sure makes a difference now in my 50s.

As far as The Barbell Prescription, the subtitle is "Strength Training for Life After 40." I hate to be the one to break it to you, but at 39 there you are. If you're running yourself ragged in your lifestyle and not getting enough food as sleep, your capability now may be less than someone in the upper 40s who is getting adequate fuel and recovery. Read the book, embrace it, and run your NLP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post

As far as The Barbell Prescription, the subtitle is "Strength Training for Life After 40." I hate to be the one to break it to you, but at 39 there you are. If you're running yourself ragged in your lifestyle and not getting enough food as sleep, your capability now may be less than someone in the upper 40s who is getting adequate fuel and recovery. Read the book, embrace it, and run your NLP.
    Ouch man...

Humour aside, Yeah I guess you’re right. Thank your for your reply and time.

Also thanks to you HailMary for your time.

Might be worth trying this instead of the regular LP.

Two Lifts a Day for the Post-Novice Master | Scott Acosta

Thank you George. That’s perfekt.

I ordered the Prescription. Buuuut if anyone else reads this: PPST 3d got a whole chapter on the topic as well.

Hey Sturw, great questions mate. A question for you, have you actually read The Barbell Prescription? If not, I would highly recommend it. It's fascinating, and there are plenty of options to modify your training, whether than be lift selection or training session frequency, to help you recover. I've heard Sully himself on a podcast recently say that he recommends his gym members complete two strength sessions a week and also take a daily walk. Speaking of podcasts, check out the latest episode of 40Fit Radio where Darin Deaton talks about this precise issue, where basing your programming purely on your physical age is not always the best way to go. Depending on what you've got going on in your life, or what you've done in the past, your 39 might be closer to a biological 49.

What is your height and weight and where are your lifts? Have you gotten your T checked? My money is on these issues.

I am 37 with two toddlers and work. The program shouldn't run you ragged until the very end of LP, it should help you get through the day.

2 days a week may cause soreness from the infrequency of workouts and gains on bench and press will be almost nonexistent. I wouldn't do that at your age.

starting strength coach development program
    Sully does outline many modified versions of LP for older lifters in the ba, which is conducted over four days. It might be worth a try. It calls for squatting (3x5) and deadlifting (1x5) in one workout, then pressing (3x5) and benching (3x5) in the other. Essentially an A/B split over Monday, Tuesday and then again on Thursday, Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast