starting strength gym

Thread: First time starting any strenth training program.

Default First time starting any strenth training program.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all and thanks in advance to those who took the time to read and respond to my questions. A little information about myself before I start asking any questions. I find myself in a weird place. I'm male, short (barely pushing 5' 5''), and weigh 200lb. I sleep for at least 7 hours a night and eat at least 3,000 calories a day. My current stats at the end of week 10 of NLP are Squat 335lbx5x3 Bench press 220lbx5x3, Deadlift 370x5, and power clean 145x3x5. I am now taking a light squat day on the second day of my training week. I find myself stuck on the overhead press. For the past 2 weeks, I can't get 3 sets of 5 with 140lb. I can do 2 sets of 5 and one set of 4. The other lifts don't feel like they're going to slow down any time soon. Now I'm writing this in hopes of finding other lifters with the same size and build give me a sense of what my numbers should look like. Also, I'm looking for advice as far as how I should move forward with my lifts. I am now making 5lb jumps on all of my lifts for each training session. I'm resting for 5 minutes in between working sets. I have read Starting Strength and Practical Programming for Strength training. There are a few ways I can go about it, but I was hoping to get some input as to what others have done to move forward. Should I "reset" my overhead press and do smaller jumps like 2lbs instead of 5lbs?. I just need some guidance.

Reset to where you could do all the reps then Micro-load, increase rest period as much as is required 8-10-12 minutes or longer. Use a belt and wrist wraps if you aren’t doing so. The press is the hardest movement to perfect and runs out the fastest so it has to be coaxed along with tiny jumps in the later stages. You could move to triples at some point to run it out if the other lifts are progressing.

There's plenty of discussions on the forums on people getting stuck on the press first, give it a search and you'll find plenty of info. There's also a good video that Nick Delgadillo put out on why the press gets stuck first and what to do with it. 5 lbs jumps is the most likely reason you're failing here, my personal advice would be do a slight reset and try the 2 lbs jumps. And either way start planning on how to transition to an intermediate program since you're probably close with the bench and the press (if you've read the books you've got a good start here).

Get your technique checked on your press.

Just because you didn't get all the reps doesn't mean you don't increase the weight. See what happens at 145lb. If you keep degrading, then maybe you need back off sets or 2.5lb increments or something else. Watch this too.

They don't need wrist wraps.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com