starting strength gym

Thread: Programming question

Default Programming question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I arrived to 10th week of NLP. I added the back off sets and I am taking 2 days rest between workouts.
    Starting weights(in kilos):
    Squat:105 3x5
    Press: 37.5 3x5
    Deadlift: 120 1x5
    B.P: 53.75 3x5

Current numbers:
    Squat: 152.5 x5 , 142.5 2x5 back off
    Press: 56.25 3x3
    Deadlift: 157.5 1x5
    B.P: 73.75 3x5
    Chins: using lat pulldown until I will get to 2x3 BW and then will try to do them without it.

I am weighing now 121kg of bodyweight (Tring to hold this weight and not balloon up) and set decent PR's this month.
    My question is: Should i smoke every bit from the NLP (cause the day before the 152.5 squat PR i are entire pizza the night before and wow, felt like 120 kg was on my back that day) or hold calories between 3500-4000 and not having entire pizza's the day before the heavy squat day?
    After the NLP is over i am planning to start 4 day split because of time limitations?
    Thanks for all you guys doing: The articles, The radio podcasts , The books of course....

With top sets and triples for the press you have already moved past the NLP and are advanced novice. That stage can be run out for a while as well, provided you monitor recovery. Note triples won't last forever so you may need to rotate off those for the press in the near future. But yes, don't run yourself into the ground. If you are getting to that stage of difficulty you can move on. HOWEVER, if nutrition is making that big of a difference in how you feel, I would look more closely at that. You might not have been eating enough for your height and age (which you did not list).

The NLP, done correctly, always lasts longer than 10 weeks.

Did you train prior to ten weeks ago - before starting the linear progression?

Make sure your technique is correct. Make sure you're resting long enough between sets.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    With top sets and triples for the press you have already moved past the NLP and are advanced novice. That stage can be run out for a while as well, provided you monitor recovery. Note triples won't last forever so you may need to rotate off those for the press in the near future. But yes, don't run yourself into the ground. If you are getting to that stage of difficulty you can move on. HOWEVER, if nutrition is making that big of a difference in how you feel, I would look more closely at that. You might not have been eating enough for your height and age (which you did not list).
    23 years old. height:176 cm.

At 23 years old you for sure should be able to run the NLP longer (as Rip noted). At this point you will likely need to reset a bit and then keep going, but before you do that you need to figure out what was holding you back. I tend to think it is nutrition as eating a ton more in your example resulted in a great training day. There is of course a middle ground with this. You don't need to gorge yourself to make progress, but you do need to eat enough protein, carbs, and total calories.

starting strength coach development program
    i am just here to comment a very unnecessary thing:

"Advanced novice" sounds very cool, if somebody had called me that during my NLP, i would have considered it as if the person is trying to flatter me
    good day sir