starting strength gym

Thread: Power clean intensity and programming

Default Power clean intensity and programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    More than any other lift (deadlift, bench, press), the power clean is negatively affected by the fatigue accumulated from the proceeding exercises.

Currently I am on my third time through the LP, squatting 3X5 @285lbs.

When I perform power cleans, I can do sets of 3 at 185lbs.

However, when I perform power cleans after squats (and presses), I can only do sets of 3 at maybe 145-155lbs.

This seems too light to drive adaptation considering what I am capable of cleaning. So, I have been doing 5-10 sets of 1 from 175-195lbs to keep the intensity high.

I realize this is NDTP.

So, would it be best to perform the 5x3 cleans first before squats or perform to 5X3 at the lower weight of 155lbs after squats?

Of interest, you may recall that Crossfit Football had a push-pull 4-day NLP.
    Mon: Squat and press
    Tues: DL
    Thurs: Squat and bench
    Fri: Power cleans

I am interested on your opinion of this split.

Thanks!

The first question would be why is this your 3rd time doing the NLP. If it's because you are doing them back to back with resets, then it's time to move on to INT programming (which a 4-day is one example of). If the 3x is just because you had breaks in training and then started up again, and are still solidly making progress in the NLP, one option is to rotate your power cleans through 5x3, 7x2, 9x1 (or thereabouts).

Age/height/bodyweight?

Thank you both for the replies.

30years/6'4''/225lbs.

To answer your question, I have taken "extended resets" during/between my 3 NLPs in the past two years.

The first time I got my squats up to 255lbs, then 275lbs, then 295lbs, now I am back at it on my way to 300+.

During each "reset" I continued to lift weights. During times when I found it difficult to add weight to the bar or even found myself losing strength, I would back off and/or incorporate other exercises that I wished to perform such as front squats or trap bar deadlifts, or I would try another rep scheme.

Currently, I am making progress again following the conscious decision to eat more and to take longer rests between sets.

You have never actually done the program.

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe