starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Son now has winter workouts...should I plan around it?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am completely out of control of the situation, assuming he stays in the program, which he will and wants to. I get it, from his perspective. But he's disappointed his LP progress will be halted.

So others can get a sense of the workouts....
    they did legs today, on the day the calendar indicated back/bis. They did 135lb squat sets x 12 (john can do 220x5x3), then did DL @ 155 x 10 (John can do 240 x 5). They did yesterday, sit ups, and did it on the hallway floor. His tailbone is very sore.

I've decided that it would probably be counter-productive to have him squat/DL on Saturday or Sunday. I have no clue what the workout is going to be on Monday...they could easily have upper body listed, but change it up to lower.

After this, they did some running/conditioning work. I'm okay with some sprints and footwork drills, as long as they are after lifting.

One drill....the boys run from sideline to sideline with a very small sled, that's tied to a rope, connected and wrapped around their hips. So they are pulling the sled. I saw TWO kids get wiped out as they approached the sideline, and the sled, uh, didn't slow down behind them. The kids weren't specifically following directions, so it was partly their fault, but still.....

I've also decided I am (assuming Pete gives me the green light) to introduce him to the JV head coach. I don't have a relationship with the varsity coach (yet), but will work on it.

Mark, I know you're right on nearly everything you've pointed out in this thread. I'm doing my best to get this way of lifting in front of decision makers so they can make the decision, as trying not to be "that" parent. it is not an easy line to walk, I'm experiencing....

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I am completely out of control of the situation, assuming he stays in the program, which he will and wants to. I get it, from his perspective. But he's disappointed his LP progress will be halted.
    Then you'll get to see how he deals with disappointment. He will need to hear from you that you'll back his decision if he decides that he's more important to himself than the team and the moron coaching the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then you'll get to see how he deals with disappointment. He will need to hear from you that you'll back his decision if he decides that he's more important to himself than the team and the moron coaching the team.
    He got to get a taste of that when he got called up this last season. He'd say, repeatedly to me, how well he thought he did in practice, only to be an observer on the sideline in the game. It was, in a way, good for him to experience that for the first time.

And as long as he doesn't quit in the middle of a season, I will fully support him. Hell, in a way I'd be relieved if he said he didn't want to play football anymore.

Much appreciate your responses here on this. Thanks.

The coach definitely will not want to deal with a SSC. Save your breath. And perhaps you and your son need to be reminded that the barbell will be there after the season. I feel your pain.
    Detach with love as they say.
    This has been my experience:

Introducing Your 14 and 15 Year Old To Strength Training: One Parent’s Experience and Advice | Tom Bailey

An update... Their S&C had them doing full sit ups on hard flooring. His tail bone was bruised.

Eff that... My dad had lowback issues, as did (do) I. So, I sent the HC a text that my son isn't doing sit-ups anymore. Have the S&C coach contact me directly. Have him do planks or heavy DLs. But no more sit ups.

Tommy, I read the article; it was very good. My son and I went to Pete on 12/31/19 in Orlando. It was worth the time and money. Now, Pete is my online coach. And I tell John... 'Pete says XYZ'... And John stops arguing!

I know the coach doesn't want to hear about it, but when we get our asses kicked again this year, maybe that will change. But at least the boys can DL 175x12.......

starting strength coach development program
    A brief update, bc I know everyone is dying to know.

Today, the HC had all the boys doing planks. No more sit ups. Of course, he teased John that "his dad had to ask me" to not do sit ups instead of John texting him directly. I apologized to my son, bc I didn't want him to get embarrassed (he also never would have texted the coach directly).

BUT....if they never do sit ups again, then that's one small step. I'll take the win, for now.

And today was Leg Day. One-Leg lunges, calf raises, squats (john did 155x12 a few times.......he can do 220x5x3), and DLs (also very light).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12