starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Son now has winter workouts...should I plan around it?

Default Son now has winter workouts...should I plan around it?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Look at this garbage.....
    Mon - Chest & Tri's
    Tue - Back & Bi's
    Wed - Shoulders & Legs
    Thu - Chest & Tri's
    Fri - Back & Bi's

Each day, in addition to lifting, they will be adding agility and running / conditioning. This starts, in earnest on 1/4/21.

He has been doing the NLP for about 4 weeks. He's 5'7", 168lbs. He's not fat, at all. Very fast, and will likely be starting outside LB.
    Squat 220
    Bench 190
    Press 105
    DL 245 (x4...grip slipped, he can easily pull this weight though)

I thought it MAY not be a bad idea to get him into the gym on Saturdays and do squat & shoulders basically, the Wednesday workout, but I don't want to kill the kid. He'll want to get his squat and DL up though...he REALLY wants those lifts to be very strong.

Please let me know if it's a terrible idea to add a Saturday workout...squat, press (and adding DL?).

I don't even know if they're going to do DL...again, brutal. However, if they are going to do DL's on "Back and Bi's", I'm not going to have him do squats on Saturday. But what about Sunday?

Thanks for any help. I'll probably have some follow up questions.

How is his diet? Sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How is his diet? Sleep?
    Sleep is good. 8ish a night. Has to be up by 730 for school, and on Tuesday, has to be there @ 6am for workouts.....

Diet.... I'm working on it as best I can with a 16yo. Told him 20x to eat enough protein. Likely not eating 4k calories though. Probably closer to 3k. Prob eating 150g at least of protein a day.

He's not a lineman though. But 3k may not be enough.

If he's going to do this insane schedule and get recovered he's going to need at least 4500/day and 200g of protein. Not optional.

Is my adding a squat day on Saturday severely adding to the insanity? If yes, I'll not do it, which sucks because he wants to squat badly. Like I said, I don't want to kill him.

And I'm very close to introducing Pete T to the coach. I'm exceptionally disappointed in the football coach's schedule.

If he's going to do this insane schedule and get recovered he's going to need at least 4500/day and 200g of protein. Not optional.

The coach doesn't want to meet Troupos. The best thing is to do your Saturday workout as planned, and to get the kid to figure out a way to sandbag the workouts during the week. He'll have to be clever about it.

Convincing him to sandbag will be challenging; the coaches watch them like hawks.

If my assumption is correct and they DL on leg day, should I do squat AND deadlift on Saturday?

My only piece of missing info is how much running and conditioning will happen on Friday. If they run them into the ground, I should target Sunday for the squat and DL, correct?

The coach doesn't want to meet Troupos. The best thing is to do your Saturday workout as planned, and to get the kid to figure out a way to sandbag the workouts during the week. He'll have to be clever about it.

This is silly. I think you have to pull him out of athletics, because it interferes too much with athletic development.

That's not going to happen. And I agree with you that these coaches have no clue about training/conditioning.

This is silly. I think you have to pull him out of athletics, because it interferes too much with athletic development.

starting strength coach development program
    Then lower your expectations, and deal with the situation. If you are not in control, you cannot solve the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast