starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate & Advanced Programs

Default Intermediate & Advanced Programs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    How long can someone expect to stay on the 4 day split before changing programs? Is there a general timeframe like there is for the novice program?

If the 4 day split is recommended for most intermediates, what advanced program is the most suitable?

It depends. Between sickness, job changes, stupid programming, lack of sleep and food, I stayed on intermediate programming for five years. I don’t have enough experience with advanced clients to make a hard statement on it.

As far as your programming, have you tried rotating reps while still on a 4 day split? You can do this with a two week cycle, a three week cycle, or more.

I see no reason not to keep a 4 day split as you get into advanced programming if it worked well for you in intermediate programming.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 12-19-2020 at 01:39 PM.

I've only been on the split routine 2 weeks since finishing an LP so haven't started rotating reps yet.

I was just intrigued to know if there is one advanced program in the book in particular that, like the 4 day split, is best suited for the average non competitive lifter.

Not really that important, it's something I wouldn't mind knowing if I'm going to keep training long term.

Yeah, then I wouldn't worry about advanced programming for a while. You're going to learn a lot in the next 2+ years about what works well for you and about programming in general.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

The split is only one part of the program. If you program a 4-day split linearly, you have a novice/intermediate program. If you program it in a montlhy or so basis, you have an advanced program, using the same split.

Take a look at the transition from LP to TM with a deload here: Understanding the Texas Method Intensity Day | Andy Baker
    If you do this every time you hit a new 5RM PR, you got yourself an advanced program.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ReconquistaBarbell View Post
    The split is only one part of the program. If you program a 4-day split linearly, you have a novice/intermediate program. If you program it in a montlhy or so basis, you have an advanced program, using the same split.

Take a look at the transition from LP to TM with a deload here: Understanding the Texas Method Intensity Day | Andy Baker
    If you do this every time you hit a new 5RM PR, you got yourself an advanced program.
    Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Yeah, then I wouldn't worry about advanced programming for a while. You're going to learn a lot in the next 2+ years about what works well for you and about programming in general.
    Ok thanks.