starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift slightly behind Squat

Default Deadlift slightly behind Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm almost two months into NLP. In Nick's recent article he mentioned that your deadlift should be at least 50 lbs ahead of your squat. As it is, my DL is about 5 lbs behind my squat. I started the squat and DL at roughly the same weight, and they have both progressed at the same rate. The only reason the DL is behind is because I started doing only two sets of heavy deadlifts per week.

I'm not sure what I need to do to get my deadlift ahead of my squat, or whether the discrepancy is enough of a problem to warrant changes in programming.

Everybody -- and I mean EVERYBODY -- can pull much more than they can squat at first, so you started way too light on the deadlift. Take bigger jumps and maybe you can correct the situation. I'm pretty sure this is in the book.

Just reread that section of the book. You're right. I started too light.

I actually just took a 10lb jump on my last workout without issue. I'll keep making those jumps as long as I can. Given my situation, do you think it's acceptable to start deadlifting every workout again? Maybe I could do a light day in the middle of the week where the jump is only 5 lbs?

Sure.