starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What in the (hell, heck, world) is going on?!

Default What in the (hell, heck, world) is going on?!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all.

I am wondering what I am doing wrong in my lifting journey. I've been on my LP since June 29 of this year.

(All weights are in lbs.)

My lifts started off as:
    Squat: 285x5x3
    Press: 125x5x3
    Bench: 195x5x3
    Deadlift: 295x5
    Bodyweight: ~185

Squat progression: My best squat was achieved on October 13, at 380x5, then a back off set of 360x5, when I tweaked my low back. Tried a set at 315 and couldn't even get the weight up. Failed on 1st rep. Bodyweight was probably ~208. Three questions: I was eating around 4000 cals, getting ~6-7 hrs. of sleep, resting about 8 mins between sets, and taking 5 lb. jumps on Monday and Friday, with back off sets and a light day on Wednesday. I went to the Squat Camp at SS Houston on Oct. 17, and they helped correct a LOT of my squat issues, and had me reset my LP squat weight to 315. So I worked my way up, and got 370 on Nov 23 for a set of 5, with back off sets after. 4 days later, on Nov 27, I barely got one rep at 375. Missed my workout on Nov 30, so I came in on December 2 for a light day. 2 days later, I couldn't even get 345 for 3 sets across... Fast forward to now, and I couldn't get 350 for even ONE set of 5 yesterday (Dec 21)...

3 Questions: My bodyweight dropped to 198 in the last week of November, and it's been maintained at around 198, 200ish. I get 6-7 hrs. of sleep due to a brand new baby. I eat probably 3800 cals (I haven't been tracking as of late), and I rest 8-9 mins between all sets of every exercise, except for power cleans and chins.

Why is my squat going to crap?? Is it really due to my bodyweight going down? I've reset my squat 3 times already since my NLP began.

Thank you for reading this long-ass post.
    Last edited by Isaac Medina; 12-23-2020 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added chins to exercises I don't rest 8-9 mins for.

How tall are you?

Sorry about that. I am 5' 9", and 25 years old

Also, not sure if it's relevant, but I hit my best deadlift at 420x5 on Nov 9, 425 for only a single on Nov 19, and couldn't even get 425 for a single rep on Nov 27, which was the same day I only got 375 for a single on my squats.

You say your bodyweight dropped to 198 leading up to the problem, what did it drop from?

205-208lbs. Somewhere in that range

Update:

I just got done working out today. I hadn't worked out since Monday due to Christmas prep and spending time with family.

I tried squatting 340 today. Got two sets of 3, failing on the fourth. On my 3rd set, I got a set of 5. Then I had to basically lie against the wall to prevent from passing out. Then I pressed, and missed all 3 sets. I was at 155lbs.

What I'm getting out of the article is that I need to eat more. My best progress was when I was at 208lbs bodyweight. Am I correct in my conclusion?

I think your calories are too low and your rests between sets are to short. You are entering the area where you need to work hard not only under the bar. It happen to me too. So you need to eat more then you want and your workouts might get longer then you want.

Solution would be to get your calories closer to 5000 over next 3-4 weeks, reset the load on the bar to where you feel comfortable and make sure you get enough rest and sleep. Maybe rethink your programming in the near future.

It seems like you have slowly beaten yourself down with not enough fuel and rest.

starting strength coach development program
    I would agree with the calories. But my workouts are already taking 2½ hours; 2 hrs 45 mins when I do power cleans. I have a wife and baby to get home to. And I tried Mark's advice on doing the next exercise's warmups in the rest time of the exercise at hand, but I can't hog my gym's only two squat racks. I'll work on eating more, but I think 8-9 mins is my threshold.
    Last edited by Isaac Medina; 12-28-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast