starting strength gym

Thread: Conditioning- omg I hate it...

Default Conditioning- omg I hate it...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So Rip says that it is easy to get conditioned by a few weeks of training cardiovascular capacity. I don't find it easy at all. My conditioning stays many levels below that of most of the other guys in the gym. Maybe it's because I hate it so much, and every session that I train this instead of strength feels like a wasted session. Would it be worthwhile for me to instead of dedicating training days to this, add a high intensity conditioning element right after my normal strength training? I know Rip is fond of prowler pushes. Maybe Thrusters or Rowing intervals could work as well, as I don't find them taxing on muscle recovery.

What are you doing now if not prowler work?

I think when he said it was "easy" he meant it was something you could achieve quickly and without a lot of complicated training methodology involved, unlike building up a high level of strength. I don't think he meant it would be pleasant. Anytime I've heard him say that in particular he also was talking about the particular situation of someone like a cop or a soldier who had to pass some regular physical fitness test by running a certain distance within a certain time. The Idea is the only devote the portion of their year a few weeks prior to the test to conditioning to pass it, then the rest of the year can be unimpeded strength training. And yeah, heavy conditioning and strength training do not mix well. I don't think I've ever seen a high end marathon runner who I believed could bench press 200 pounds. A lot of them look like they couldn't even squat that much.

If no prowler just buy some of the spud travel farmers walks handles and go walking with as much weight as you can handle for 15 minutes as many sets as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    What are you doing now if not prowler work?
    Mixed bag. Mostly biking, rowing, and burpees in some combination. From what Rip has been saying, I assume that it is better to go hard on these (intervals) for a short time, rather than long and slow. In that case, maybe it would be best if I just added like 15 minutes of these, say two times a week, after my regular strength work. I'm not a superfan of the prowler or hill sprints since my calves get banged up pretty hard.

Is your level of conditioning hindering you? Is it worth the effort to keep up with the Jones’s? What is it you’re trying to achieve besides keeping up with other guys at the gym?

I enjoy the speed bag or heavy bag for conditioning. Although nothing cranks my heart rate like the third set of squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericw View Post
    Is your level of conditioning hindering you? Is it worth the effort to keep up with the Jones’s? What is it you’re trying to achieve besides keeping up with other guys at the gym?
    Thing is, I like to test myself every once in a while in a Crossfit competition. Problem is I hate the conditioning element! I do like the strength part, and the required technical challenge. I also like the short high intensity effort with high power output. Maybe I should just switch to powerlifting... Not so easy to find competitions with lots of participants however.

Then don’t do the conditioning element. Just enter the competition and have fun.

starting strength coach development program
    Hills. Run some hill repeats.