Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much volume or not enough ?

Default Too much volume or not enough ?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    I am running the original 3 days a week Texas Method now for a while
    Got my Deadlift up from 335 for 5 to 445 for 1.

I don't know why but my Deadlift got "stalled" first.
    I am still squatting for 3x2
    and still benching for 2x3
    Deadlift feels much much much harder each time, and by harder I mean hard in a bad way not in a good way like the rest of the movements.

I followed Paul Horn suggest for the Texas Method and started with Deadlift 3x5 (85%) on volume day and than 1x5 on intensity.
    and when the numbers on the intensity go down you add extra back off set and the volume day percentage go down as well...

I really want to know, for me, and for programming in general, when I know when I am doing too much volume so Its stop me from progressing or not enough so I can make progress ? what are the signs ?

Have you read practical programming? Are you adding weight every week?

Please post your age, sex, weight, and height.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Elad Levy View Post
    Hi,
    I am running the original 3 days a week Texas Method now for a while
    Got my Deadlift up from 335 for 5 to 445 for 1.

I don't know why but my Deadlift got "stalled" first.
    I am still squatting for 3x2
    and still benching for 2x3
    Deadlift feels much much much harder each time, and by harder I mean hard in a bad way not in a good way like the rest of the movements.

I followed Paul Horn suggest for the Texas Method and started with Deadlift 3x5 (85%) on volume day and than 1x5 on intensity.
    and when the numbers on the intensity go down you add extra back off set and the volume day percentage go down as well...

I really want to know, for me, and for programming in general, when I know when I am doing too much volume so Its stop me from progressing or not enough so I can make progress ? what are the signs ?
    As someone whose ran 3 and 4 day Texas Method, it's not going to give you long term success. It's a long taper and eventually your Deadlift is going to fall again. You should look elsewhere for programming info.

I read it of course, I do adding 5 pounds a week.

I am 26, Male
    196 on 5'10"

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    As someone whose ran 3 and 4 day Texas Method, it's not going to give you long term success. It's a long taper and eventually your Deadlift is going to fall again. You should look elsewhere for programming info.
    Who says it necessarily does? Eventually everyone needs to modify their programming.

The deadlift went down first to singles... the movment that you can progress the longest...
    it has to be something with the volume, low or high, but I have no idea which one, what are the signs ?

I read it of course, I do adding 5 pounds a week.

I am 26, Male
    196 on 5'10"
    This is the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Who says it necessarily does? Eventually everyone needs to modify their programming.
    *Long Term*
    The Texas Method is essentially a long taper. You might add 5 pounds week-to-week by running it out into the singles, but who is to say a 405x1 is better than 365x5 on a squat?
    The Texas Method is lower volume than the LP. The idea that you're going to adapt using less volume is a flawed concept.

The deadlift went down first to singles... the movment that you can progress the longest...
    it has to be something with the volume, low or high, but I have no idea which one, what are the signs ?
    From your original post, your deadlift is feeling harder because you're not adapting from doing singles on your deadlift. It's not a bad idea to do a top set, but you're going to need more volume post-novice to make consistent gains.

starting strength coach development program
    Tell us about your numbers, Snake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast