Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much volume or not enough ?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Elad Levy View Post
    Hi,
    I am running the original 3 days a week Texas Method now for a while
    Got my Deadlift up from 335 for 5 to 445 for 1.

I don't know why but my Deadlift got "stalled" first.
    I am still squatting for 3x2
    and still benching for 2x3
    Deadlift feels much much much harder each time, and by harder I mean hard in a bad way not in a good way like the rest of the movements.

I followed Paul Horn suggest for the Texas Method and started with Deadlift 3x5 (85%) on volume day and than 1x5 on intensity.
    and when the numbers on the intensity go down you add extra back off set and the volume day percentage go down as well...

I really want to know, for me, and for programming in general, when I know when I am doing too much volume so Its stop me from progressing or not enough so I can make progress ? what are the signs ?
    How have you concluded that this is the aspect that requires attendance ? Too much volume can result in failure to progress, injuries and over training, but so can everything from being too greedy, too timid, not having sufficient rest, sleep, calories, or technique (and probably several more I’m not aware of). I’d hire a coach if I were you. Save you a lot of time making mistakes unless you particularly want to run the rolling diy self experiment. If you do want to diy, then it requires copious notes in the log book and a willingness to read and re-read practical programming until you get the gist of what’s being said in context of your own experience. If, however, you just want a quick answer so you can get on and with lifting, then a coach is a far better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    *Long Term*
    The Texas Method is essentially a long taper.
    What happens after you start back up again after the running down from 5s, to triples, to doubles, to singles? You know, like what it says in PPST3? Or do you just stop?

You might add 5 pounds week-to-week by running it out into the singles, but who is to say a 405x1 is better than 365x5 on a squat?
    Because 405 is greater than 365?

The Texas Method is lower volume than the LP.
    The stress is greater.

The idea that you're going to adapt using less volume is a flawed concept.
    Adapt to what? What are we trying to do?

From your original post, your deadlift is feeling harder because you're not adapting from doing singles on your deadlift. It's not a bad idea to do a top set, but you're going to need more volume post-novice to make consistent gains.
    Do you believe this indicates "long term" experience?

A Long Time Coming

That's cool, so my original post got deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Put my other post back up and I'll tell ya

You're gone.

Rip', what do you consider 'too much' volume?

I know you are fed up of hearing/reading about volume but we both know it has it's place. Singles or a single set of 5 for example, don't build strength in the long run. They are more a 'test' of your current strength and at some point you need more volume to drive muscle growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    Singles or a single set of 5 for example, don't build strength in the long run. They are more a 'test' of your current strength and at some point you need more volume to drive muscle growth.
    Do you know this from your own training or are you just stating, really repeating, this very familiar language?

Seriously, go read PPST3 and Andy Baker's additional articles. Particularly if you think people are being coached to get to doing just singles and then just stop. Unless you're Chase Lindley and pressing 405, then please explain how singles at this bar weight do not constitute sufficient stress to drive a strength adaptation, one that by necessity requires muscle growth.

starting strength coach development program
    How about you do one set of five a week and see how long you make progress. Good luck. It doesn’t work. It works within a program as part of the program but it’s not a recipe in itself for long term progress.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast