starting strength gym

Thread: I need help with my SSNLP

Default I need help with my SSNLP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m going to ask my questions first and provide as much information as I can below from my training log. I feel like I am off the SS path and I would appreciate any advice to get me back on the right track.

Should I be using microweights (2.5 lb jumps) for my presses and power clean, or should I keep to 5 lb jumps? I have deloaded twice due to strength failure on my bench press and cleans, thrice on my OHP.

Squats are become very difficult to recover from compared to my other lifts, even with a light day. Am I reaching the end of my NLP with squats with 3x5? Should I do back-off sets or 3x3, or something else?

Should I be in phase 3 of SS now? I am worried about my squat overtaking my deadlift if I allow my deadlift frequency to reach only once every 9 days, as my current deadlift is really poor compared to my old PR, but I am having trouble getting the damn thing to progress well anyways. I’d also like to reincorporate chin-ups in my program again, to be honest.

---

Currently 245 lbs, 6’ tall, male, 27 years old (28 in Feb), BMI 33

Training started 7/27, currently at 24 weeks, although 4 weeks were lost due to illnesses

Former 5RM were 152.5/225/295/365 (prematurely moved to intermediate training to get here)
    Starting weights were 95/165/185/275
    Current 5RM are 150/225/315/350

DELOADS
    Squats, deloaded from 280 on 9/22, 280 on 10/16*, 315 on 12/22 (Light day introduced on 9/22)
    OHP, deloaded from 125 on 9/8, 135 on 10/16*, 140 on 11/29, 150 on 1/5
    Bench Press, deloaded from 195 on 9/11, 205 on 10/16*, 225 on 12/19
    Deadlift, deloaded from 325 on 8/25, 340 on 10/16*, 355 on 12/22
    Power Clean, deloaded from 110 on 9/1, 130 on 10/16*, 150 on 12/30

*Major deload due to back-to-back illnesses on 10/16 - 11/17, essentially a month of training lost but I got right back on the horse as soon as I was well enough.

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

I am currently resting 8 minutes between the main sets. I am already pushing 2 hours on power clean training days so I’d like to avoid having to increase my rest times and my training time any further if possible. I have also dropped conditioning exercises entirely, my work is giving me enough as is and it never felt like it was contributing anything except fatigue to my recovery.

I am currently doing 5 lb jumps for all my lifts, I briefly did 10 lb jumps for squat and deadlift but that slowed down after the 2nd week. I’m still on the fence on using micro weights (2.5 lb jumps) for my presses and maybe my cleans, but I’ve gotten the verbal whipping from Rip before about using micros too soon in my training.

I am getting about 7-9 hours of sleep a night depending on how late my job closes. I have been steadily gaining weight since I started, a combination of holiday eating and a healthy fear of losing strength as obliterated my original fat loss goals. I have gone from 220 lbs/23% bodyfat (BMI 30) to 245 lbs/28% bodyfat (BMI 33), and I have been eating 1g protein per lb body weight every day, I tracked my calorie intake up until Thanksgiving and it has just been a wildly high caloric ride from there. I do not know if I should continue to eat in the 4000-6000 calorie range to keep getting stronger or if I’m passing the acceptable amount of fat before I become an obese fat fuck and can afford to ease on the calorie intake.

Here is my SS training journal if desired: Starting Strength Training Log: Ethan Bynon

Looking at your post above and your training log it appears that you were never doing the actual NLP program. For example, you did not move your PR and BP to 2.5lb jumps, you were doing conditioning on some days, you were eating at maintenance calories on some days. These can all end the NLP prematurely. I would reset back down again and build up doing the actual program. And when you do I would make sure you get some form checks in case technique was holding you back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Looking at your post above and your training log it appears that you were never doing the actual NLP program.
    Correct, I want to get to the point of doing the NLP correctly, I'm tired of getting lacking results from bastardized versions of the program, I'm ready to commit to the letter. I want to learn, I am listening.

For example, you did not move your PR and BP to 2.5lb jumps.
    That has been something I'm trying to get a straight answer on. I have been yelled at by Rip for transitioning to 2.5 lb jumps too early, so I've been trying to push 5 lb jumps as long as possible this time around. If I understand you correctly, I did not transition soon enough. Which is it?

you were doing conditioning on some days
    Gone, not coming back until an SSC tells me to (unlikely).

you were eating at maintenance calories on some days.
    I have been eating wildly for the last 8 weeks, easily 4000-5000 calories a day. If I am 245 lbs/28% bodyfat/BMI 33, should I keep eating that much? Pg. 309 of the blue book tells me that if I'm over 20% body fat then I'm a fat fuck, should I still keep eating 4000-5000 in addition to 1g protein per lb of bodyweight?

I would reset back down again and build up doing the actual program.
    How far? Deload to 90%? 80%? Go back to phase 1 of the program where I deadlift every session?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Ok, I have read this article three times in row, and I am having trouble decerning a concrete answer to my question of how many calories exactly I should eat. "Eating correctly may mean 6000 calories/day with a gallon of whole milk, or it may mean 3500 calories/day on a paleo-type lower carb no-dairy diet, depending on your initial body composition." Ok, I understand this, but what exactly is the amount I should eat with my initial body compos? Going by the above quote I should be eating 3500 calories then, yes? Slightly higher or no?

For the micro loading, on page 304-5th paragraph of the blue book it says to do 5 lb jumps for the first 3-4 weeks and then I'm assuming switch to 2.5 lb jump afterward, even if I'm still making LP with 5 lb jumps by week 4?

How To Restart
    Searched for someone on the forum who restarted on SS and they were recommended to drop to 60-80% of their most recent work weights and build from there. Should I go down closer to 80% or further to a 60% deload?

The answers to your questions will depend somewhat on who the individual is, yes. 3500 should be fine to start for all tall guy your age. Just keep an eye on your body weight over time to make sure it's going up. Also make sure protein is prioritized and you will likely run better with more carbs than fat (~250-300g range).

You need to switch to micro loading when you need it. Some people need to do it sooner than others. If you are going to reset now, you can just start with 2.5lb jumps to be safe.

Dropping down to 80% of you past weights should be fine to start again.

Excellent, I will do EXACTLY that. I have two more questions and I'll get started on The Program immediately, milk and everything.

Should I return to phase 1 where I deadlift every training session, or should I continue to do phase 2 where I alternate deadlift and power cleans each training session?

If I am returning to phase 1, should I attempt 10 lb jumps for the first 1-2 weeks on squats and deadlifts, or should I stick to the 5 lb jumps?

When you start up again, DL every other session. Take 5lb jumps in the SQ and DL. Take 2.5lb jumps in the PR and BP. This will be safer. Also make sure you get form checks from a coach on each of your lifts as poor technique will derail you just as much as these factors.

starting strength coach development program
    Will do, I'll get some form check videos as best I can and post them as soon as I am able. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and getting me on the right track.