starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method Plan

Default Texas Method Plan

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 2.27.06 PM.jpg
    I'm transitioning to Texas Method next week. Does this look reasonable? I've adapted it from phase 1 of the Texas Method in practical programming substituting chins for power snatches. I made chins and presses on the same day to try and mitigate chins effecting presses. I want to continue with chins in some form because I enjoy them and I don't want to learn the power snatch. I want to see if there is anything wrong with this.

A note on practical programming:
    On the passage on transitioning to Texas Method, all examples are from lifters going from 3x5 across at the same weight. This seems unlikely because by the end of novice programming, the book says that you should be doing your first set at a new 5 rep max and then 2 backoff sets at lower weight. Would this change the starting weights you should enter the Texas method with?

Stats: 26yrs, 210lbs. Squat: 305x5, Press: 140x5, Bench: 223x5, DL: 360x5, Weighted Chins: 70x5

To clarify 5x1 means 1 set of 5 reps.

The plan is reasonable, though I probably would keep the PC on volume day for all weeks and do more than 2 triples. If you are moving into TM from sets of 5 where even one is a top/max set, then yes, you need to drop the weight a bit so that you have a few weeks of acclimation to the new program.

I think this is reasonable. I'm doing basically an identical version of your plan with chins on volume day, snatches on recovery day, and deadlifts on intensity day for the pulls. I omitted the power clean since I can't rack it correctly.

Is the inclusion of the press and the bench on the first Thursday a typo since you don't have that happening the second Thursday?

Also, it seems more logical to fix power cleans and chins on a specific day each week rather than alternate them.

[QUOTE=Cody Mitchell;1802062]
    Is the inclusion of the press and the bench on the first Thursday a typo since you don't have that happening the second Thursday?

yes sorry. I fixed it up. Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.04.52 AM.jpg

starting strength coach development program
    I decided to just do the program as it is written. I'll learn the power snatch. I added 3x10 pullups on volume day and 3x5 on intensity day after I'm done with everything else. The rest is the same.