starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three-Times-a-Week Press

Default Three-Times-a-Week Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip,

I spoke to you during the most recent Live Q&A about my press and you recommended pressing three times a week. You said to do 5 heavy singles, followed by my bench press, on my Wednesday workouts.

My questions are:

1. How do I organize the other two pressing days, Mon and Fri? Do I do my sets of 5 like usual on both days, going up 2 pounds each time?
    2. How much weight do I go up on my heavy single days? 2 pounds as well?
    3. Do I bench only on Wednesdays?

Thank you for your time.

1. Monday is 5x5 across. Friday is Pin Presses from just above the forehead for 2 sets of 5, heavy.
    2. No more than 2 pounds.
    3. Yes, bench is Wednesday only.

What can I use in lieu of pin presses at the forehead? The racks at my gym are pretty dang short. One end has chin-up handles at the end, and the other side has a bar running across the ground, and is 6 inches away from a mirrored wall. Screenshot_20210209-183348.jpg

Also, I can't really change gyms. I work out at the one I manage, which means free membership...

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    What can I use in lieu of pin presses at the forehead? The racks at my gym are pretty dang short. One end has chin-up handles at the end, and the other side has a bar running across the ground, and is 6 inches away from a mirrored wall. Screenshot_20210209-183348.jpg

Also, I can't really change gyms. I work out at the one I manage, which means free membership...
    Put the pins on the back of the rack, looking away from the mirror and opposite from the chin/pull bar/handles. This will necessitate moving the rack away from the wall. Given you're a manager, this should not cause problems.

Damn, I should've mentioned that the racks are bolted into the ground.

I'm trying not to make excuses, I am just trying to work with what I've got. Would seated pin presses at above forehead height work? Or is the non-contribution of the legs negating the purpose of the exercise as an overload movement?

Yeah, seated pin presses defeat the purpose here.

I'm thinking of doing either push presses or incline bench press. I'm thinking that the push press is the better option here. I re-read the "Useful Assistance Exercises" chapter in the Blue Book, and it seems like push presses are my best bet in overloading the movement, even though it isn't a partial, and it trains the whole ROM instead of just the triceps portion of the lockout.

What can I use in lieu of pin presses at the forehead? The racks at my gym are pretty dang short. One end has chin-up handles at the end, and the other side has a bar running across the ground, and is 6 inches away from a mirrored wall.
    Would isotonic pressing against the chin-up handles or the top side supports of the rack be worth it? Depending on the lifter’s height, he might have to stand on a box, aerobics step, or something. But would the training effect be worth it? It do not know how to effectively titrate isotonic loading in the context of this programming, but if it can be done, I’d do it too; I have the same impediments to pin pressing.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm thinking of doing either push presses or incline bench press. I'm thinking that the push press is the better option here. I re-read the "Useful Assistance Exercises" chapter in the Blue Book, and it seems like push presses are my best bet in overloading the movement, even though it isn't a partial, and it trains the whole ROM instead of just the triceps portion of the lockout.
    If overhead clearance is the issue, how do you intend to do push presses?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast