starting strength gym

Thread: Confused Novice struggling with the deadlift or programming

Default Confused Novice struggling with the deadlift or programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi. Everyone thank you for any help and advice

44 years old still thinking I'm 22. 5'4". Small hands. Taken up lifting 10 months ago until I can go compete in judo again. Weigh 200lbs but for height should be either U160/178 class. squat 1x 5 335lb, or 5x5 305lb. Just started Chin ups and can now do a few. Press is hampered by a complete tear of the pec Major off the humerus and while it'll get fixed not till the surgeons are done with covid. Being in the UK I might have to wait but I don't need to find £15k.

Deadlifted 335 1x5 beginning of January (with belt and straps) When I swapped to an intermediate plan on Texas method Pg 116 of practical programming. I've let the squat stall as my deadlift is tanking. 335 for 1x5, then 1x3 reps then 1x4 reps last rep terrible form as my lower back just couldn't take the pressure. Then last week couldn't get it off the ground. Generally I'm not recovering between workouts despite a Wednesday light day. Still reading the book and trying to work out what to do.

Guessing I'm on totally the wrong program. However I am struggling to see where I go from here. Should I go back and work out a plan on advance novice? move to a different intermediate plan? How should I improve the strength in my lower back? Plus do I deload to come back.

I'll be back to discuss how I integrate 2 sessions of judo with strength work later. For now just trying to maximize the numbers.

Thanks for the help
    Mark

You should be on the 4-day split program. As I've said many times, TM is for unemployed kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkAllen View Post
    Deadlifted 335 1x5 beginning of January (with belt and straps) When I swapped to an intermediate plan on Texas method Pg 116 of practical programming. I've let the squat stall as my deadlift is tanking. 335 for 1x5, then 1x3 reps then 1x4 reps last rep terrible form as my lower back just couldn't take the pressure. Then last week couldn't get it off the ground. Generally I'm not recovering between workouts despite a Wednesday light day. Still reading the book and trying to work out what to do.
    Further, as Coach Rippetoe has mentioned, no 5x5 for deadlifts:

Deadlift Intermediate

If you look at the sample programs after p. 116 of Practical Programming, you will see that only a single set of deadlifts is done in the Texas Method.
    Last edited by J. Killmond; 02-11-2021 at 07:42 PM.