• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    37 Years old women, mother to 3, 145 on 5'9"
    Squat - 175 x 3
    Bench - 102.5 x 3
    Deadlift 185 x 3
    Press 76 x 3

Eat around 3000 calories a day and sleeping alright.

Thinking about what can I do next ?
    Bench and Squat got stalled 2 times even after a reset.

Deadlift 3x3 and still can make progress, not that hard.

Can't make 5x3 on the press so started with double and singles until reach 15 total reps.
    Feel like having a really really hard time to recover so I added light squat the on Wednesday for 3x3 80%

Thinking about moving on, maybe to Texas method women version from PPST 3, I am not sure what else can be changed ?
    I switched from 3x5 to 5x3, tried reset once and still stalled in the same numbers.
    and suggestion ?

Typically I'll only have female trainees attempt one reset on LP. Once they stagnate again, I'll move along to Intermediate programming.

The Women's Texas Method works great. The volume will typically be accumulated through triples across (5 or 6 sets), and intensity days will typically be targeting weekly 3,2 or 1 rep PR's.
    Last edited by Cody Annino; 02-19-2021 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Typo

Thank you, I read the part of the women section in the book but I still have a questions,
    1) I should alternate between double and singles on my intensity day but each one of them have his own weight right ?
    that means I am making progress on my singles once every 2 weeks and I am making progress on my doubles once every 2 weeks, that's correct?

2) would be a good idea to keep the power clean and put chin-ups instead of the power snatch ?
    that means I have 1 deadlift, 1 power clean and one chin up day for each week.
    if it's okay, would it be better to do 5x3 weighted chin up or just stick to body weight ?

1.) Intensity days should be 3 rep PRs for as long as possible. Then after that, you might alternate between doubles one week and singles the next. Yes, you would be making progress on your singles every other week. Keep in mind, the goal for intermediate programming is to make planned weekly PR's. In the case of the Women's Texas Method, this means you're hitting a PR every week in the form of either a 2 rep PR or a 1 Rep PR

2.) My rule of thumb is always to have anyone who can power clean and power snatch perform them. In fact, I coach women in their 50's who still power clean and power snatch every week. However, there is a much more one-sided relationship between deadlifts and the Olympic lifts when it comes to female trainees. In other words, while a strong deadlift will help you tremendously in bringing up your clean, volume on the Olympic lifts may not be stressful enough to drive progress on your deadlifts long-term. So it can be a good idea to keep the deadlift as your volume day stressor, and perhaps reserve cleans and snatches for your midweek light day. You might even find it beneficial to start cleaning several of your warm-up sets before your deadlift sessions.
    Last edited by Cody Annino; 02-19-2021 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Typo

Thank you so much for your help !

1) Can women also follow the same method that Nick wrote down in one of his articles about keeping the bench for 5x5 on Monday and do Press for 5x5 on Wednesday and than on the intensity day do both of them (bench for 1x3 and shoulder press for 5-7 sets of 1)

2) where should I add chin-ups if I am going to do power clean as a light day in Wednesday ?
    that means Monday is a volume deadlift day 5x3 with 90 from Friday and Friday 1x3 with back off sets
    but what about Wednesday chin ups and power cleans ?

1.) I wouldn't do 5x5. Given the neuromuscular inefficiency inherent in women’s physiology, heavier 3's will work better. Volume for intermediate female trainees should be accumulated via triples across. If you're still making weekly progress on 3s, then I would have you continue to shoot for weekly 3 rep PRs for as long as possible. Then alternate between doubles and singles, again shooting for weekly PRs.

When you first start the women's texas method, I would have you pressing twice and benching once the first week, and then on alternate weeks, you would be Benching twice and pressing once.

Example:

Week 1:
    Monday (Volume): Press 5-6 sets x 3 reps
    Wednesday (Light): Bench Press: 3 sets x 3 reps
    Friday: (Intensity): Press: 3 Rep PR / Eventually alternating between doubles and singles

Week 2:
    Monday (Volume): Bench Press 5-6 sets x 3 reps
    Wednesday (Light): Press: 3 sets x 3 reps
    Friday: (Intensity): Bench Press: 3 Rep PR / eventually Alternating weekly between Doubles + Singles

Once progress stalls, you will most likely need to increase your pressing frequency so that you're always pressing at least twice a week. At this point, I would have you start using the strategy Nick lays out in his article, but your volume would still be in the form of triples across, not fives.

2.) You could do chins on Wednesday. I would do your heavy deads on Monday and accumulate pulling volume on Friday.

Most of this is discussed in Practical programming if you have a copy.

Thank you !
    I am following the practical programming example, Deadlift 3RM on Monday and then take 5 lb off and do 2 more sets of 3.
    i know its the intensity deadlift but does it count as enough volume for the rest of the week ? or you would still need to do some volume deadlifts on Friday? 3x3 for example.

what's the weight supposed to be like in the

The Texas Method's objective is to display a weekly performance increase on the intensity day for as long as possible. Your volume and recovery days will need to be modulated as needed to allow this to take place. I've found it helpful to think of your volume and recovery days as two knobs on a machine that need to be carefully tuned and dialed in to produce the correct amount of stress and recovery so that a consistent performance increase can be made on your intensity day each week.

Women tend to do better with slightly higher deadlift volume and can usually tolerate deadlifting at a higher weekly frequency than male trainees can. Volume should still be accumulated through triples across, and you might do anywhere from 2 to 4 sets. At the same time, your intensity days will be planned as weekly 3 rep, 2 rep, or 1 rep PRs.

Again, lower neuromuscular efficiency has important programming implications. For volume work, women will use a smaller percentage offset from their Intensity day than men will. It's common for female trainees to do their volume work with 90-95% of their planned 3 rep intensity day PR. It may take you a few workouts to determine the optimum percentage offset between your volume and intensity days. As you get stronger, this percentage offset may increase slightly (but probably not much).

starting strength coach development program
    Very very helpful, thank you so much!

so, from what you said it will be better to do :
    Example 1 :
    Monday - Deadlift 1x3 PR (or 1x2 or 1x1, try to stay at the 3's for as long as possible)

Friday - Deadlift 3x3 (90%-95% from volume day)

Example 2 : (what I was thinking)
    Monday - Deadlift 1x3 (or 1x2 or 1x1)
    than back off set 2x3 with 5lb decrease.

Friday - Deadlift 3x3 (90%-95% from volume day)

Example 2 might be too much ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast