starting strength gym

Thread: Strength & Mass After 40. Weight loading error lead to higher intensity, what now?

Default Strength & Mass After 40. Weight loading error lead to higher intensity, what now?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So this might be an odd question, and a pretty dumb mistake on my part.

Today's squat should have been 3 x 5 at 311lbs but I somehow managed to load the bar with 355. Not surprisingly it felt damn heavy and I thought I must be tired or something but I pushed on, thinking "I'll just get through this first set". It felt like a max effort and only when I racked the did I realise my mistake. I haven't lifted that for a few years. I then backed off to the scheduled weight of 311lb for the next 2 sets which obviously much easier.

Me being a dumbass notwithstanding, I'm wondering what to do next? Should I just treat this as an anomaly and go back to my scheduled numbers or should I rewrite my programming based on this unexpected improvement and go for 1 heavy set and 2 back offs to take advantage of this higher intensity? I don't feel exhausted or anything after this, but I definitely needed to back off after that heavy set.

I hope this isn't too rambling, I would just really appreciate some advice on how best I can go from here. Thanks.

Forget about it and move on.

Personally I'd just do 320 next workout. Too big of a jump might be hard to recover from.

We do not base training on a 5RM. Get back to your normal progression and go up as the program calls for.

Thanks very much for the advice. I thought that might have been the case. That unscheduled 5RM Gives me a lot of confidence going forward though.