starting strength gym

Thread: New Program

Default New Program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    47 year old male, 6' tall, 225#

Goals are 500 DL, 400 Sq, 300 B, 200 Pr

1 reps maxes, tested last week. (I know I'm not supposed to test this outside of competition, or they would have been slightly higher)

DL - 445#
    SQ - 365#
    Press - 175#

5 rep Max
    DL - 385#
    SQ - 300#
    Press - 157.5#

Bench is currently in rehab due to shoulder issue. I am back to doing flat bench at lighter weight (currently 165# with minor pain). Also added 65# dumbell presses with no pain and incline bench with just the bar to test shoulder.

My main workout that has been helping my shoulder has been chest supported rows on a machine.

Squat and Press have stalled and will continue to go up weekly but not daily. DL wont stall for a few more weeks. Maybe around the 405 mark.

I dont really want to do any accessory lifts. I have a home rack and will be using it again when the weather warms. My main goal for this winter is getting the shoulder healed which, the rows are working so far. The bench at the gym sucks and has no safety bars and I lift alone at they gym.

I only have the time for 3 days a week so here is what I have come up with. I could change my mind and move to 4 days when necessary.

Day1
    Squat - H
    Chest - M
    Dead - L
    Row - H

Day2
    Squat - L
    Press - H
    Dead - H
    Chins

Day3
    Squat - M
    Chest - H
    Dead - M
    Row - H

I know the Clean is missing and I was making slow progress, but any breakdown in form was hurting my shoulder. Another goal is to get back to doing these. I also has a knee injury that make me cautious of this lift.

I appreciate any errors you may see. Maybe throw in another day of chins at my house on a rest day?

I wouldn't be looking for errors per se. You just have to work out the best structure given your rehab and limit of 3 days. Usually extra upper body work is needed once you progress past the NLP. It's easiest to do this in a 4 day, but another option is to add it in day 2. You might be able to remove the Day 2 squat entirely which will give quite a bit of room for extra upper body work.

Thank you Hayden, one possibility I didnt think of would be to just extend the week. I could run a program of Mon, Wed, Sat, Mon. Ill keep studying... I am new to intermediate programming. Ill get the books back out and read.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 02-22-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Take this annoying Tapatalk sig off of your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    Thank you Hayden, one possibility I didnt think of would be to just extend the week. I could run a program of Mon, Wed, Sat, Mon. Ill keep studying... I am new to intermediate programming. Ill get the books back out and read.
    Yes, this can work as well if you don't mind the weekly shuffle.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Take this annoying Tapatalk sig off of your phone.
    Yes sir!