starting strength gym

Thread: Chins vs Pull Ups

Default Chins vs Pull Ups

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi SS community. I am curious (before I waste my time) will training for chin-ups (15x3- body weight), compromise my ability to perform weighted pull-ups? The PT test for my job, I have to perform two weighted (50lbs) double overhand pull-ups. Will training 10-15 reps of chin-ups, allow me to keep up with my ability to accomplish the weighted pull-ups? Will the difference in range of motion matter?

Right now I complete 5 sets of 2 weighted pull-ups, then 5 sets of 4 chin-ups. I try to keep a total rep range of 25-30 per workout and perform it every 5 to 7 days.

Personally, I'd keep doing the couple sets of chins with weight just to keep in practice until your PT. You could probably do them every other workout if you wanted. Goal is just to be positive you can complete it when it counts. Then a couple/three sets of bw for higher reps or whatever.

Interesting PT test, btw. It's not a difficult task for people who train but it's definitely difficult enough to be an unusually high standard of strength for a job. Firefighter, perhaps, if I may ask?

Do you have weighted pull-ups now and if so, how much weight can you handle? If you don't have them, you are going to need to train them. Firstly, because weighted requires more strength than BW and secondly because pull-ups don't use the biceps quite a much (they are harder). If you do have them now, do you have them with more than 50lbs? Because not training weighted will likely cause some detraining by the time you have your test. So, it's not that BW will compromise your ability to do weighted - the concern is that without training weighted with a pronated grip at all, BW won't be enough of a stimulus to develop or maintain the strength needed to do weighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Do you have weighted pull-ups now and if so, how much weight can you handle? If you don't have them, you are going to need to train them. Firstly, because weighted requires more strength than BW and secondly because pull-ups don't use the biceps quite a much (they are harder). If you do have them now, do you have them with more than 50lbs? Because not training weighted will likely cause some detraining by the time you have your test. So, it's not that BW will compromise your ability to do weighted - the concern is that without training weighted with a pronated grip at all, BW won't be enough of a stimulus to develop or maintain the strength needed to do weighted.
    Well put. I assumed he could already do 50 pounds but I may have assumed incorrectly.

Yes, I can do my required two pull-ups. The 50lbs is all my gear for SWAT. Then some sprints, dummy carry, ram carry, shield carry and finally shooting, all within a time limit.
    I would like to make those two pull-ups easier, plus I'm gaining weight, which I don't want to do too much more of. Should I keep with two pull-ups or increase the weight? How about forgoing body weight chin-ups after my 5 sets of pull-ups, and just keeping all with pull-ups?

What is your current bodyweight chin-up RM? Your other numbers?

I think your situation is a bit different from most people doing Starting Strength. If I understand correctly, with the Starting Strength programs, chin-ups are treated as an accessory exercise and are intended to help drive progress in the press and BP, where as with you, the weighted pull-up is a primary performance test. Why not then program it in the same way as a primary lift?, with volume and intensity days, alternating chin-ups and pull-ups weekly. And if you can do 15 reps, shouldn't you be doing weighted chin-ups?

starting strength coach development program
    I am 35, 5'10" and 250lbs. I have not done a bodyweight chin-up RM because I was focused on getting stronger for the two pull-ups I needed. I can estimate to be around ten? My SS journey has been screwed up because I started lifting before I read the blue book. Then I read it and realized I was a moron for not reading first. I started my NLP about two months ago and have been slower on the progress due to shift work, two babies at home, no sleep, and my stupid decision to eat keto (that's done with). My five reps are; squat 305. Press 165, Bench 220, DL 405, Clean 155.
    Thanks for the help, guys.