starting strength gym

Thread: Squat / Deadlift ratio in adv. novice

Default Squat / Deadlift ratio in adv. novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    43 years old, male, no significant injuries (I have recurring tendonitis in my left elbow - omitting chins and cleans until it goes away; other barbell movements don't bother it)
    BW: 195 lbs -> 205 lbs
    7 hrs sleep, 4-5000 calories per day

Two questions:
    1. My squat 5RM is 330 and my DL 5RM is 365. That's not a good ratio, right? What's the likely /common problem? There's no anatomical issue. My arms, legs, and torso are all in proportion. I'm a normal-looking, 6' tall guy.
    2. I'm not clear on how the transition goes from novice to adv. novice for deadlifts. Stick with every 5 days, but just add 5 lbs instead of 10?

I'm in advanced novice stage with my squats. After missing sets in consecutive workouts at 285, I did a reset to 250 and then increased in 5-lb increments until I missed a rep at 320. Then I began the adv. novice program by adding 5 lbs for 1 set of 5 and doing 2 backoff sets. This morning I missed a rep at 335. I knocked out two backoff sets of 5 @ 305 with no problem. Wednesday is my light day (225), so I'll give 335 another shot on Friday.

My deadlifts are struggling. I'm still doing NLP. I have not had to reset, but maybe I started doing cleans too soon? I was adding 10 lbs per DL workout, but reduced it to only 5 lbs per workout when I was just barely able to make the fifth rep. Adding only 5 lbs every 5 days allowed my squat to catch up - thus my odd ratio. But I feel like this is as fast as i can add weight to my deadlifts. Every deadlift work set is exhausting. After that 5th rep, I just sit on the floor of my garage for about 10 minutes. On Friday, I missed a rep of deadlifts for the first time at 370.

Suppose I miss a rep again with my deadlift. In that case, do I reset by dropping down to around 340 and resume linear progression by adding 5 lbs per workout? At one workout every five days, that will take me a month to get back to 370. Does that sound right?

Aside: I am exhausted every day. On workout days, I am completely run down for most of the day. On off days, I have a bit more energy, but still feel the prior day's workout. Is this normal? I figured after a few weeks I would adjust. But that has no happened. Granted, I have a 1-year-old and 2-year-old. But still, I am surprised at how tired I am every day.

I see nothing particularly wrong with this ratio, unless the deadlift is a little light compared to the squat. It's quite common for the deadlift to be 50-70 pounds ahead of the squat at this point in your training advancement, if you have normal hands and proportions. Deadlifts are hard, and they are supposed to kick your ass. Make sure you've answered the First Three Questions, and that you're not doing something stupid like conditioning during your NLP. Post a video of both squats and deadlifts.

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

I did 5 reps at 370 lbs today. Lots of deep breaths between the 4th and 5th rep, but it felt much better than last week's attempt. Perhaps that is because today was my light day for squats, so I wasn't as exhausted. The two clips are the last set of 5 squats at 225 lbs (again, today is my light day) and 5 deadlifts at 370 lbs.20210311_025452765_iOS.jpg 20210311_025545434_iOS.jpg

Well that video upload clearly didn't work. This one should work: Squats & Deadlifts (10 Mar 2021)

Hey Tim, there is a sticky in the Technique forum with guidelines on how to film lifts. Take a look at those and try to repost with those in mind. It is extremely hard to see what going on here the low lightning, dark clothes and obstructed views.