starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench Press Help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes.

I’ve found inconsistency on press and bench to be purely about technique. Press being worse than bench, but bench requires far more technique management earlier than DL/Squats, because it reaches its limit more quickly and bad technique won’t let you just bully out 5 reps. Just doing loads of reps isn’t a solution to working on the technique, back off a bit, develop the technique, micro load. It takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC85 View Post
    finally hit 3 sets of 5 at 102.5kg yesterday.

should i increase weight now?
    It seems like you are not sure if you should increase the weight on your bench press--but you can't get stronger if you do not increase the weight.

As mentioned previously in this thread, in order to increase the weight for the work sets on the bench press for 1-3 pounds every workout (if in novice phase) or weekly (if you are an intermediate), typically microplates are used, as noted in the article linked by Coach Rippetoe above and in the blue book (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 304).

See if you can keep making progress every workout with microplates. If that doesn't work, then consider switching to intermediate programming by trying a volume day and an intensity day. Here are some recent thoughts on that topic by Coach Delgadillo:

Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

Press and Bench Press Programming - Getting and Staying Unstuck | Nick Delgadillo

Good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    It seems like you are not sure if you should increase the weight on your bench press--but you can't get stronger if you do not increase the weight.

As mentioned previously in this thread, in order to increase the weight for the work sets on the bench press for 1-3 pounds every workout (if in novice phase) or weekly (if you are an intermediate), typically microplates are used, as noted in the article linked by Coach Rippetoe above and in the blue book (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 304).

See if you can keep making progress every workout with microplates. If that doesn't work, then consider switching to intermediate programming by trying a volume day and an intensity day. Here are some recent thoughts on that topic by Coach Delgadillo:

Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

Press and Bench Press Programming - Getting and Staying Unstuck | Nick Delgadillo

Good luck!
    just wasnt sure if i should progress as soon as i hit 3 reps of 5 at a weight. i moved up to 105kg and did 3 sets of 3 on Friday. that was after doing squats though and i never seem to be bench press as well after squats . have ordered microplates so hopefully they arrive soon.

going on my bodyweight and one rep max, i am at intermediate strength level on the bench press so will have to look at intermediate programming now i think. tanks for these resources.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12