starting strength gym

Thread: How is my programming ? Any suggestions ?

Default How is my programming ? Any suggestions ?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is my third stab at NLP. Main setback was do to gym closing down for 8 months because of Covid. I have been fairly active in sports since childhood and consistently into my adulthood and middle age. Healthy diet has played a major role in that.

My routine looks like this: workout A: squats, bench, DL and chins. B: squats, OHP, DL, chins. My present numbers (about 10 % lower of my best prs): squats 260, DL 290, bench 135 lb (it sucks), OHP 90 lb, chins 3x6 (used to be 3x10, unassisted). Macros: about 3200 cals, 190 protein. My weight is: 200 lb. I stopped doing cardio after reading Rip’s book. However, cycling is my main transport in the small sea town where I live, so I do some cardiovascular activity every daily/ weekly.

During my last setback due to a very serious family matter, I stopped training for one month and I gained some unnecessary weight that I want to l get rid of.

My doubts:
    1) Not sure how much I can lower my macros and still progress in my NLP.

2) I feel my bench is too weak. What about benching and extra day after OHP for example? Or what should I do? Keep going and be patient?

2) how’s my program looking ? Soon I won’t be able to DL every workout. What changes can I make?
    So far my recovery is good.

I read Mark’s excellent book and I am now reading the barbell prescription... So I know that I am not strictly following the program. In any case it would be nice to get feedback from more experienced folks.

Thank you for your time and thank you to startingstrength.com for providing this amazing forum.

Age and height? The best thing to do regardless is to follow the program. Also, The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe.

Age 53, height 5.11

The best thing to do after setbacks/breaks is to run a NLP again. So, just keep doing the program until you need modifications. Take a look at the first 3 questions I linked before to make sure those don't hold you back. As long as the bench is progressing, just keep it going. Deadlift you will need to move from 10lb jumps to 5lb jumps and then alternate days, where the day off is chins, for example. You will likely want your carbs around 200/250g per day.

Thank you. Sounds good. My stats are weak but I am making progress and recovery so far is not a problem. I feel I'm still in an "easy" or not too hard phase.

At some point I would like to try some starting strength online coaching for form and programming. Any suggestions where I can do that?

starting strength coach development program
    Happy to help with that, my link is below. The full directory of coaches is also here: Starting Strength Online Coaching: