starting strength gym

Thread: SSLP programming, quick questions.

Default SSLP programming, quick questions.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been doing SS for 10 weeks now, after receiving correction from SS coaches on these forums. SSNLP Ethan Bynon: DTFP

The short summary is that I have hit a stall with my deadlift at 355 and OHP 157.5, and deloaded with my squat at 330 and cleans at 165 (working on technique with these right now).

I am male, 28 years old, and 6 feet tall. I was 244 lbs, 25.4% bodyfat 10 weeks ago. I am now 261 lbs, 27.4% bodyfat, 17 lbs total gained of which 6 lbs was LBM increase. By the recommendations here on the forums and in the blue book I have been eating 3500 kcal a day. I currently eat about 260g protein, 400g carbs, and 95g fat. I used to eat 300g carbs but Santana told me to kick it up to 400g.

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe
    1. For the last 4 weeks I have gone from resting 5-6 minutes to resting 7, 8, and even 10 minutes between my work sets. I am currently pushing 2+ hours per training session, Im in trouble if I need to make it longer.
    2. I am currently doing 5 lbs jumps for squats, deadlift, and cleans, and 2.5 lbs jumps for bench and OHP, as advised. I have microplate sets that would allow me to go as low as 0.5 lb jump if ever necessary.
    3. Food intake is stated above; I get about 7-9 hours of sleep a night, but I have been having trouble initially falling asleep because my weight gain has made lying down uncomfortable. Once I actually fall asleep, I can sleep through earthquakes.

After rereading the programming section in the blue book, I wanted to ask a few questions:
    Should I start alternating deadlifts/cleans with chin-ups now, or is it too early/unnecessary?
    Do I need to decrease my weight jumps with any of my lifts, like going from 2.5 lbs jumps to 2 lbs jumps for OHP for example?
    Is there anything wrong with my progress so far in terms of programming that I need to fix? Am I DTFP?

Light squat day yet?

What is your bench press doing?

I agree, you should probably start alternating your pulls and move to 2 lbs on OHP. 10 minutes between work sets is my standard. Are you hitting depth on the squat? It's very close to your DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Light squat day yet?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    What is your bench press doing?
    Going down and up, haha. In all seriousness, it's been heavy but progressing slowly with 2.5 lbs jumps for now.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    Are you hitting depth on the squat? It's very close to your DL.
    Squat 325 lbs - YouTube
    Judge for yourself. Yeah, my deadlift suffers more from bitch grip. Hook grip is impossible, as far as I know, with my ingrown fingernails, so I really should be using straps or a mixed grip. Worried about the uneven load on my shoulder joints with a mixed grip though.

These three articles helped me navigate the later stages of my first NLP run. They might be illuminating.

Quit Skipping Your Deadlifts | Nick Delgadillo

Rack Pulls 101 | Nick Delgadillo

Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

Those are high bar squats so I guess I'm not sure how close to your DL they should be.

Don't let grip stop your deadlift. Do all your warm ups double overhand and use mixed or hook with your work set

Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Blagojevic View Post
    These three articles helped me navigate the later stages of my first NLP run. They might be illuminating. [/url]
    These were great to read and I'm interested in going down that route, but I'm trying to stick to the program as much as possible because I'm tired of being told YNDTP. I want to DTFP as long as possible until I can reach a 400+ deadlift for 5 reps, as Rip says that's about where an NLP should end for most guys over 200 lbs.

Those are high bar squats so I guess I'm not sure how close to your DL they should be.

Don't let grip stop your deadlift. Do all your warm ups double overhand and use mixed or hook with your work set
    I'm fixing that issue with my squat deload, I didn't intend to high bar squat, but I never noticed it moving up my back as the weight got higher. Any issues with muscular imbalances that I should be worried about with mixed grip?

Not that I've noticed. I think doing double overhand for warm ups takes care of it.

starting strength coach development program
    So injured my hand earlier this week (smashed in a car door), got back into the gym tonight. I used a mixed grip and it was like night and day. I feel like I could pull 400 for reps despite how stiff my hand is, its crazy how much difference it makes.