starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knee pain while squatting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by markeddington View Post
    So I built a platform with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood.
    Nice platform--you're clearly a guy who likes to get things done!

I would like to get some lifting shoes but I am not sure what to buy. I have also been looking into the SS belts but I have not pulled the trigger because I was not sure if I should get the single or double ply. I was also hoping to lose more weight so that I would not need as large of belt but I guess I can always punch holes in it.
    You're not a small man, but clearly you're very active. Why not get a single-ply and a double, see which you like. If don't want one or a belt ends up being too big, donate it to a gym that keeps a selection for people's use. Shoes are a pain. Order some Adipowers, some Romaleos and some Rogue Do-Wins (or whatever), keep the ones you like and send back the other pairs.

Thank you again Ryan. When I reached out I was really hoping for more help.
    I'll add one more observation to the advice you've gotten from Coach Rippetoe, stef and Ryan. For the squat, learn the bottom position. That may help you to anchor in your mind what you are trying to do. Watch this whole video, but see 0:57 for the bottom position:

Learning to Squat | The Starting Strength Method

Good luck!

Hey Mark, I think you're descending too fast and out of control. If you control it more you will be better able to tie the instructional videos and articles to what you are feeling during the lift.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional coach with any kind of certification.

What I am seeing here is things that have already been mentioned, like the upright back angle and thus the knees pretty far forward of the feet. Obviously this takes some of the workload your hips should have and puts it into your knees, thus straining them. It also looks like you are dropping down kinda hard into your squats. I've had this habit form in the past because I thought it gave me a better stretch reflex or something, but really it puts quite a bit of strain on your connective tissues. Don't do it. You're also not breaking parallel, but that's caused by the mechanics of a squat where the knees push forward. I'd recommend a total form overhaul, with a lighter weight. It looks like you are pushing really hard against what you're working with now, and trying to keep going up from there or even staying constant will probably just result in more form problems. Drop the weight, work on your bar position, get the hips (and thus the knees as well) back. Do the no-bar knees out stretch position, and when you're down there make sure hips (and thus again, knees) are back. They shouldn't be too far forward of your toes, if at all.

Thank you for all the comments and pointers on my form issues. I am planning on squatting tomorrow to see how it feels and will be doing so with lighter weight until I get my form issues corrected. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I am not sure how to turn off my Tapatalk sig. If someone could help I am happy to do it but I googled it and was unsuccessful.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

starting strength coach development program
    Tapatalk main screen
    Go to “me”
    Go to “settings”
    Go to “signatures”
    There’s a setting for each forum you’re on, so find starting strength
    Then select the “off” toggle at the top.

(I only know because I turned mine off when I saw them ask you)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12